Thursday, October 16, 2008

A week passed in the blink of an eye...

Here we are. It's been only one week since we released Portal: Prelude and still, a lot of things happened. I personally replied to 763 emails over the last week. Sorry if your didn't receive an answer, I couldn't reply to everyone and I'm the only one capable of writing in an "understandable english".

Anyway, since our server was shot down and since we had to close the forums for a while, things have definitely calmed down. Today, for the first week after the release, we took a quick tour at all of the download mirrors we could find, and after a short investigation, we were a bit shocked. I re-made another calculation, used a bit of statistics and, damn. I never thought we could get so much downloads in a such short amount of time. How much? Well... a lot. At this time, using 60 mirrors, we got around 115,000 downloads.

Now, I'm wondering how much it does. I never made a mod before, and I never followed the other mods to compare. The folks at ModDB.com said it was a lot, but again compared to what?

On another subject, as you may have already seen it, we uploaded another version of the walkthrough on MetaCafe.com, every video except the third and fourth test chamber. The MetaCafe review team decided we didn't have the copyright on these videos... Anyway, take a look at our walkthrough page if you're still stuck somewhere, and you can also search on Youtube, a lot of people released their own walkthroughs.

I also updated the soundtrack page with some artwork made by a fan named by Kohlstream. Take a look at the new page if you loved the soundtrack. And finally, I finished to reply to every email excepting the very detailed ones, that I'm delaying because they need a really long answer. We're now fully working on the upcoming 1.1.0 update, without knowing the release date for the moment. Stay tuned!

PS: I made yet another cool interview with the folks at Blank Pixel yesterday, and they published it. You may want to read it for the "Can you layout the process involved in designing a test chamber?" part, and such.

Comments

October 17, 2008 10:59 PM, Blogger uNCLEsAM098 said :
Those artwork are really well done!

Too bad he didn't put the Studio Domo logo on it, but none-the-less, top notch pics.

I'll be adding the iPod one to my iTunes and PSP pics.

October 17, 2008 11:00 PM, Blogger FvKey said :
I loved the soundtrack. Good job on this matter, seriously.

October 18, 2008 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
You should consider adding a bittorent download mirror. You'll save a LOT of bandwith and probably serve faster that way...

October 18, 2008 7:06 AM, Blogger bd_ said :
@Anonymous:

Did you look at the mirrors page? There are bittorrent mirrors. Two of them. Which is actually a bad thing - it only serves to split the bittorrent swarm (and so if one is under more load than the other, the other's seeds can't pitch in to help)

October 18, 2008 1:19 PM, Blogger Serge said :
Just tried to instal on clean STEAM. Without Steam SDK Base your Mod doesn't work. So the final reqs are: Portal and Source SDK Base (256Mb). Nothing else is required. And thank you for the job you have done. Nice Mod. Still playing it.

October 18, 2008 6:15 PM, Blogger Moonlup said :
Again, thank you for making this mod! Still working my way through it. The chambers that rely more on speed always take me a little longer.

Just wanted to say that your English is very good. In fact, I live with two people who speak more poorly than you. Had you not said something, I doubt I would had even noticed (especially with all the so-called l33t speakers on the web).

Thanks again for all your hard work. Time to kick back and relax, I'd say. Congratulations!

October 18, 2008 6:31 PM, Blogger Mik said :
Hello, I absolutely loved this mod, and I want to thank you guys for putting all that hard work into something, and then offering it for free!

I only completed Portal once, never did any of the challenges or advanced maps, and I found this mod difficult in some aspects, which is a thing I really missed in the original Portal. I completed it in around 4 hours, and the difficulty really makes victory so much sweeter. The mod probably made me a better Portal-player too :P

Didn't see a single glith, didn't have any problems installing, and I loved the story. So all in all, thank you so much for making this!

October 18, 2008 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
great mod man!
i've just finished it and it wasn't so difficult after all :D

thank you for your time!

October 18, 2008 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Now way, you didn't find any glitches Mik? I found one in the relaxation vault where the coat rack kills you...

October 18, 2008 11:28 PM, Anonymous sg3s said :
@ Anonymous above

I don't want to know where you tried to stuff that coat rack...

October 19, 2008 1:21 PM, Anonymous Andre said :
Wowwwww finnished it and surprised.
This is an amazing game.

You nailed it perfectly Nikolas.
The final scenes are astounding, i never expected a mod to be so professional as Portal Prelude is.

Congratulation and Thanks for the hard work.
I canīt imagine how your team managed to make this game in nine months, because itīs incredible.