Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bugfixes, Mirrors and Walkthrough

After a weekend spent recording, encoding and uploading the walkthrough on a website that isn't even accessible in a whole bunch of countries of the world, I spent my first day fixing bugs. Today, I fixed 50 minor, major and pointless bugs. The problem now is that all of the levels were fixed in a way or another. Which means we'll have to redistribute all of them with the update. 350 MB of compressed levels... well... this is going to be a hell of a patch. We'll release a whole new version and a patch from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0.

On another subject, we lost our first mirror today. Please congratulate the guys at UK Web Builders. They gave us 684 GB of brandwidth over a single 6 hours period after the launch. They even had to pay for the extra brandwidth they used. I'm sorry about this and I hope they won't get too much in trouble! Thanks guys anyway, and if any of our other mirrors is experiencing the same kind of problem, please let us know and we'll delete your link from our list as fast as we can!

I also started to upload another version of our walkthrough on MetaCafe.com, so, don't bother uploading it yourself anywhere. It will only take us a few hours as the videos are already uploaded on Veoh, and MetaCafe can leech them. Thanks to Lucas Picoli from Brazil, who told us about this website!

I'm also still 80 emails late, I don't even have the time to answer to some emails sent to us on October 11th. I feel so sorry, but I need to concentrate on the bugfixes before anything else. I'm reading all of them, I'm going to reply, but for the moment, I need a break.

Comments

October 14, 2008 11:27 PM, Anonymous Sarda [CP] said :
does this mean we can redownload it now, or are you releasing an actual patch instead of just updating the game?

October 14, 2008 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
A little "bug":

After finishing chamber 19, I used the chairs to broke the glass and got the portalgun immediately. Then I got the Module and took it with me to Glados - now the ending was all messed up ^^

I was sure that this was the normal way ^^

October 14, 2008 11:59 PM, Blogger samurai_monkey said :
^^^^that's not the way but I just completed the game and now i wished i had used that way. GREAT GAME!!!!

October 15, 2008 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :

This creates a self-contained executable, so unlike some other patching solutions, the end-user doesn't need to install anything extra. Note: The freeware version has an ad, sadly. Meanwhile, the MSDN approach to patching meanwhile seems too painful.

If the devs don't want the hassle of creating a patch, I suspect a third-party can make an unofficial one, but then there's a question of trust. In theory brave people who successfully use a patch could provide the SHA1 hash for the file they used. ... I'm not being entirely serious about the last bit. Just a little serious.

Oh, and the big disclaimer: I am neither affiliated with clickteam or whatever, nor have I used this software personally yet. Big apology about that.

October 15, 2008 12:54 AM, Blogger Nicolas said :
Thanks last Anonymous.
I'll take a look, and don't worry, we'll make a patch from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0

October 15, 2008 6:25 AM, Anonymous LTR.2 said :
Are you uploading the game in Zip?

PD: i didn't congratulate you for the game, but i can't fight against GLaDos because a stupid bug when the lights off. but i really like the game. and i see you at the Test Chamber 15. you really like the companion cubes huh? :P

October 15, 2008 7:39 AM, Blogger D said :
Is there a way to get an official torrent running for the downloads?

October 15, 2008 10:35 AM, Blogger 13xforever said :
You could use a free patch engine that is bundled with the NSIS itself (VPatch). It's a little hard to use (because it wasn't meant to be used with a lot of files), but it's free and make a decent patch files.

October 15, 2008 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Do you have a estimated release date for the patch ?

October 15, 2008 3:43 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@LTR.2:
If you look at the bottom of the download page, it's already there.

@last Anonymous:
No, sorry.

October 15, 2008 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Walkthrough on youtube

October 15, 2008 7:22 PM, Anonymous CptDobey said :
If you rar it (with "best" option) instead of zip, it will be 762 MB (zip is 918 MB)

October 15, 2008 7:47 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@CptDobey:
Yes, but Windows XP doesn't come with RAR support. That's it.

October 16, 2008 2:13 AM, Blogger playerman1230 said :
WinRAR you could get 7Z, RAR and ZIP support. The 40 day trial is sufficient enough (you don't have to care about the expiration stuff).

October 16, 2008 5:45 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@playerman1230:
We don't want people to download and install anything to run our mod. Almost 1 GB is far sufficient.

October 16, 2008 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
You really need a bittorent mirror if you're in need of bandwith!
Just upload a torrent on a decent tracker (anything should do) and you won't have any problem getting the game spreading around.
They were (are) doing this with Insurgency or even PVKii.

October 16, 2008 10:46 PM, Anonymous Sarda [CP] said :
i don't think that bandwidth should be a problem anymore, as the majority of the people who are going to download it have already done so. the existing mirrors should be enough, and any patches released obviously aren't going to be as big as the game itself was.