Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mirrors are coming

Ok, now that the storm has somewhat cooled down, I must say that I'm now way more tired than during the week we started the hype machine, a month ago. I didn't slept for the whole last 24 hours, trying to follow everything and to answer every message in order to avoid an inbox congestion. But that was not enough, I can't follow my own forum messages anymore and I start to get stressed and susceptible because of the lack of sleep :D

Anyway, let's take a break. Our little server is suffering (it's serving more than 6 MB/s at every moment), and still... we're not hosting anything else than this website. In 2 hours, I'll provide at least 25 download links from around the world. There's a lot of big websites, a lot of medium-sized ones and a few local mirrors for country specific needs. There's also two BitTorrent mirrors coming along.

Server Graph

For the moment, we're not going to comment on the success and flaws of the game, because it's still a bit too early for this kind of considerations. I also have to coordinate all of our translators and send them a guide on what they have to do. There's still a lot of work coming though. I'm depressed... :D

Comments

October 9, 2008 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Thanks Nicolas, it's about time people stopped having to deal with thiry minute wait periods at Fileplanet.

October 9, 2008 9:10 PM, OpenID behe said :
I do hope you're aware there are now THREE torrents of this out there, one on The Pirate Bay, one on Demonoid (and by far the most popular) and one on Gameupdates.

October 9, 2008 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Yeah that is so stupied. why should i have to pay to get a faster download rate when i can just go to some other website to get it. anyways i will be waiting for those links.

October 9, 2008 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
This is THE best single player mod for any game I have ever played. The work that is put into it is astonishing.

But, the difficulty is far too high. That's my only complaint. I really dislike the fact that I HAVE to crouch to make some jumps. The main reason I like the original Portal so much was that it was easy but not too easy, and it made you think. This game makes me think too but after multiple attempts it just gets frustrating and I rage-quit and pick it up again later.

October 9, 2008 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
>I'm not a kid anymore.
Yes you are. Good job disabling the comments.

October 9, 2008 9:21 PM, Anonymous Immortaly007 said :
I have to agree with the anonymous on 9:13 PM, this game is indeed extremely good for a Mod, definitely the best mod i've seen so far. But yeah the difficulty is crazy.
PS: it would be nice to give the "crouching dialog thing from level 3" in room 2, where you have to use it the first time. That would at least make lvl 2 possible without asking a friend or looking at the forums :p

October 9, 2008 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
@behe: Well, distributing this sort of file is exactly what BitTorrent was designed for.

October 9, 2008 9:28 PM, Blogger piklemeup said :
But behe, these ones will be official and most likely be more popular because they'll have a link on this site.

October 9, 2008 9:33 PM, Blogger Jazz said :
9 month wait is over, now that delivery is over, beware baby blues.

October 9, 2008 9:57 PM, Blogger dylan said :
Hi I am having some problems with Portal Prelude. At startup it crashes and I was wondering if anyone else is having this same issue. I'm going to try one of the mirrors that are FREE and hopefully a new download will fix the problem.

October 9, 2008 10:00 PM, Blogger bd_ said :
Note that it's actually a bad idea to have multiple bittorrent mirrors - bittorrent capacity increases as the swarm becomes larger; so you should try to have only a single swarm (which means only one set of trackers). To increase the transfer rate, you just have to start more seeding clients.

October 9, 2008 10:07 PM, Blogger Thomas said :
Nicolas aurait-tu vendu ton ame au diable ?? Site officiel en anglais, version pré-sortie uniquement en anglais... What the hell ?!

October 9, 2008 10:14 PM, Blogger Mr.Yeah said :
This post has been removed by the author.

October 9, 2008 10:16 PM, Blogger Mr.Yeah said :
Sry.

@thomas:
Look here: http://www.portalprelude.com/2008/10/helping-you-help-us-help-you-all.php
'Just turn on captions/subtitles in the sound options tab of the game.'

October 9, 2008 10:17 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@bd_:
That was not our wish.
People made these mirrors themselves ^^

October 10, 2008 12:11 AM, Anonymous Corn said :
@behe and others talking about torrents:

some people (like me) are unable to torrent because of restrictions from our college and ISP. Yes, there are ways to bypass such restrictions, but some people do just have to wait for the mirrors if they dont want to register at FP (also me).

October 10, 2008 12:24 AM, Blogger o_O said :
@thomas :

si un jour tu fais des sciences sérieuses, tu ne rédigeras pas tes articles en français...

or aperture, c'est des sciences sérieuses.

apprends l'anglais !

October 10, 2008 11:09 AM, Anonymous takkischitt said :
don't be depressed... you've done a great job...! something to be very proud of...!

October 10, 2008 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
It's just a map pack with twitch-puzzles instead of clever puzzles. It's mainly question of luck and lots of opportunistic savegames. Just wasted half an hour and I'm not going wasting more time on this BS.

This wasn't a triumph
I'm making a note here:
Huge fail
It's hard to overstate my disappointment

October 10, 2008 10:52 PM, Anonymous Sarda [CP] said :
I have to admit, the above comment was exactly my thoughts once i reached level 14. however, it is more that i'm just not that good at this ( i cheated at the flash map pack too :P ) than it is a horrible mod. I actually think that this is the best mod there, and deserves a spot on Steam just as much as the ones up there already!

December 10, 2008 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
ive installed portal prelude but i cant find it to activate it on steam? its shows the portal prelude file with the maps, music, ect and the uninstaller but theres no where to activate it on steam?! really lost does anyone know what to do?