Thursday, October 2, 2008

Day Eighteen: It's a Big Baby

This message is a bit late because I'm currently finishing building the automatic installer, to know how much this baby will weight. I can already say that it's a bit bigger than we initially thought because fully compiled maps are a bit heavier than I thought. The uncompressed game files are 1.5 GB in size. I'm actually compressing it inside the installer to see how much weight we could gain...

... and the result is really far heavier than we initially thought. Two months ago, the game weighted 750 MB, one month ago it was 850 MB, and it's now 1 GB compressed. I can't believe it's so heavy for this amount of content, it's heavier than Portal itself. Levels take 750 MB alone (fortunately, it's an heavily compressible format, 50% or more). Anyway, I think I'll have to have a little discussion with all of our mirrors' owners, because I announced between 750 and 850 MB a few weeks ago. I really hope it will still be OK for the majority of them.

A Big Baby

We also took your ideas in consideration, and I think we're going to use gameupdates.org to host a BitTorrent mirror for the game. It will allow people to download it faster during the first days. Of course, we'll also try to have as much regular mirrors as possible. I think we can at least count on the big ones like Planet Half-Life, ModDB, Vossey, GameArena, Internode, Total Gaming Network, etc.

Anyway, to summarize what's left to do:

1. Compile a final version of the game
  2. Do the last tests and checks
  3. Clean the mod folder
  4. Build everything and finish details
  5. Build an automatic installer
  6. Upload it somewhere safe
  7. Send it to a few people, magazines and websites
  8. Make it available one day before the release to every mirror owner via a server to server transfert
  9. Put a BitTorrent mirror online
  10. Release everything
  11. Take vacations (hurry up!)

Let's get back to work (again)!

Comments

October 3, 2008 12:50 AM, Anonymous Sephiroth* said :
I guess I represent the whole portal community when I say that I REALLY appreciate the hard work you went through for making this great looking mod.really too bad you won't accept money...valve should pay you xD

October 3, 2008 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
i suppose if you accepted "donations" it would be legal, wouldn't it?

October 3, 2008 12:57 AM, Anonymous jeff said :
This all sounds stunning! Too bad that EXACTLY on october 10th I will go to Italia for one whole WEEK!!!! I'll see if I can grab it around midnight. Thanks!

Jeff

October 3, 2008 1:02 AM, Blogger Nicolas said :
Thanks guys.
Donations would be legal, but we don't want it, simply ^^ That was not the point of this project.

October 3, 2008 1:21 AM, Anonymous Gonfin said :
looking good.
it will be intresting to see the #of people on this torrent
i would guess thousands by day 2

October 3, 2008 1:43 AM, Blogger Jason said :
What does hitting it with 7zip do? It has an awesome compression rate...

October 3, 2008 1:48 AM, Anonymous SNaG said :
If anyone would have ratered to listen to me before, Im good with installers. What i know for a fact is that this prelude team used a precompiled wrapper installer. Which is not Optimized. Of anyone would like to allow me i could give compression a try, i use my OWN algorithms ad my OWN small Scratch installer which Will Definitly make it smaller then what has been said. Buti see alot of you dont like help? I just dont understand.

October 3, 2008 2:11 AM, Blogger RADIUM-V said :
Can't wait for this to be released! I'll be seeding on BitTorrent until my ISP tells me to stop.

I also suggest 7zip. Great compression and easy conversion.

October 3, 2008 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
SNaG, I thought it would be ok for someone like you to be here but unfortunately your a bit too intrusive in trying to 'help' to just be able to get the game earlier... You're so obvious it's not even funny.

Thats all.

PS. Try to appreciate what they are doing and respect their wish to keep the development 'in house'.

October 3, 2008 2:46 AM, Anonymous SNaG said :
I don't even think you should be authorized to classify me as your comment was strictly retarded. Most of you already suspect me for just getting it Early, I hate the way most of you think if you think that way, it's currupted. Some people Actually just Like heping to get things done. But most of you are just so caught up in this release mess you obviously MISS THE FACT of quality, Im not insulting i'm just stating. Nowi would like all of you to just STOP accusing me of being some kind of freak. I just want to help that's it, if you dont want help, ill take myself Elsewhere.

October 3, 2008 2:46 AM, Anonymous Bob Brown said :
I will chime in that if I can get a copy of it I can seed on my work connection (60 mb/s). If you want to get a hold of me for seeding purposes, you can hit me at my website

October 3, 2008 3:45 AM, Blogger uNCLEsAM098 said :
I know you guys aren't looking for donations, which is understandable, but isn't there another way you'd be willing to accept appreciation? Maybe you guys could have a way to sell the Portal Prelude shirts at-cost, so no money is made, and people can still buy the shirts?

And wow, the game is complete, and you still have over a week till release. I guess this is soon to be where the Vacation comes in, eh? ;)

Enjoy it, you guys earned it.

October 3, 2008 4:40 AM, Blogger Zero1328 said :
Snag, the scepticism behind your true intentions isn't because of what you're trying to do, but how you're doing it. You're offering help in a completely wrong way.

You're using the comments, which is public, and you don't have an account, leaving no contact info. There's a clear way for you to talk to them privately.

It's a privately-made mod, so they probably want to keep development matters private. Also, this is a work between a few close friends, so it's not likely that they'll accept outside help.

What you're doing signals that you might not really know what you're doing, and that you could be lying, as a result. It's not surprising that people would be suspicious.

October 3, 2008 5:31 AM, Anonymous SNaG said :
Alright Alright i understand where your coming from, and yea it's probably true that they would want to shut anyone else in development out. I was JUST SUGGESTING. I did not need Flaming against me from the start. Simple answer, No. or Yes. It's quite simple. No further detail is even required to understand that. But whatever aslong as this Release Is itching to get out.

October 3, 2008 5:40 AM, Anonymous Cammeron said :
Sadly I have to agree with everyone else this time you are being far to intrusive SNaG if they want you they know where to find you stop pushing. <---PERIOD anyways good luck to you guys hope everything ends up going perfectly in the end :)

October 3, 2008 7:21 AM, Blogger 13xforever said :
2SnaG: Custom installers are good in really few cases, really. For installer with 5+ MB of content, the size of setup module (100-200 kB) doesn't really matter. Not to say, if you have 1 GB of data.
Anyway, even using popular installation systems (I prefer NSIS), you could make a smaller installer, which will work on many versions of Windows, on wide variety of hardware and software configurations (because it was developed and debugged for years), what a custom setup tool lacks a priori.

October 3, 2008 8:07 AM, Blogger Marcus said :
I'm glad that Internode is getting onboard. I'm sure I'm not their only customer to suggest to them they mirror your file once it is released.

October 3, 2008 10:04 AM, Anonymous Cheesey said :
It's a very good idea to load it up on one or even 2 BitTorrent hosters, this way people can get this mod easier and faster!

I also suggest to load it up here:

They have also fast connections and it's also here for games and mods.

October 3, 2008 11:08 AM, Anonymous Zuko said :
"I think we're going to use gameupdates.org to host a BitTorrent mirror for the game. It will allow people to download it faster during the first days."

gameupdates.org have dedicated seeders look @ insurgency http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=2733&dllist=1#seeders

October 3, 2008 12:15 PM, Anonymous Jaknet said :
Really looking forward to this on the 10th and amazed at the amount of time and efforts you guys have put into this (as well as keeping us up to date at the same time)

Very glad to hear you will have a torrent download as well, will be seeding for ages.

Lets hope there is no problems with vista 64 and the installer.

Cheers and enjoy the well earned vacation

October 3, 2008 12:27 PM, Anonymous Cokecola3 said :
Just upload it on fast-load.net
its german but has great up- and download-speed!

October 3, 2008 1:21 PM, Anonymous SNaG said :
@13xforever
I make my installers either from scratch or with the least help from the GFX department, You cannot use a Installer "Maker" lke installshield or whatever s There padding is garbage, the amount of size you save depends on MOSTly the crompression level,the content, and the Definition. Well i know none of you KNOW how to code an installer it's just that to understand a bit about how they work you would need to research them.Making installers was my part profession for some schools in my area, i used to code all sorts of help full programs for schools even for my own.

In anycase, most of those installer "makers" would Budle your software with MSI wrappers which Infact are just plainly Not nesseccary. Fine. I'll stop. Just try not to go against What I DO.

If the Portal Prelude Team or ANYONE else would like Proper Information on Compressing and Installing Data the Hit me up at my email. Anyone, not directed to Anyone just generally, i wouldl ike to stop this confusion.

Email: mistazion@hotmail.com
Do whatever you like (chose to put my email public)

October 3, 2008 2:06 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
This post has been removed by the author.

October 3, 2008 2:06 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
I'm using a private/personnal script that I load using NSIS to build the installer. And I believe a compression of 66% of the total size is somewhat honest. We don't need any help here, and in fact, we never asked for it.

October 3, 2008 2:20 PM, Anonymous posranakrava said :
use LMZA compresion, also used in 7zip

October 3, 2008 3:34 PM, Blogger Jakemuska said :
"...it's heavier than Portal itself."

Holy shit!

October 3, 2008 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
I fully understand you not wanting to make money for this but I this you should have a donations link. You have put so much effort into making this and to then give it away is amazing (game developers should all be like you). Anyway if you decide to allow donations it would be a nice way for me to say thankyou!!!

October 3, 2008 7:05 PM, Anonymous TheSpoon said :
I don't want to keep harassing you guys with the donations thing, but... No one has stated yet what I think is an important point: what money are you currently using to keep up the server, to pay for the licenced music and all these DIRECT expenses? Yours? I agree with the fact that (1) you used a proprietary engine and (2) you had fun and everything else, so it's fair that the mod stays free, but I think it is unfair if you lose money making this great work to the community.

Why not just using the donations to "balance the budget" and giving what's left to the charity?

Just my two cents.

October 3, 2008 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
why does no one use UHarc anymore lol

October 3, 2008 7:58 PM, Blogger theKage said :
I would suggest uploading it to GamersHell since they have a variety of servers in different countries around the world.
On an another note, you guys did an awesome job, and you sure deserve a vacation! :)

October 4, 2008 3:14 PM, Anonymous Atreus said :
I think I'd be willing to act as a mirror for you guys if you'd like.

October 4, 2008 3:18 PM, Blogger Jeff said :
I guess I should probably post under my blogger account so you can contact me if you're interested.