Monday, September 22, 2008

Day Eight: More tests, more bugfixes

A lot of people are currently asking us if they can play the game before the official launch, or even become one of our testers. But no, sorry, we really don't need a horde of playtesters to validate a mod that only last a few hours. Portal is somewhat logic, if someone is able to finish a test, we don't really care if there's one or more solutions. Of course we try to avoid tricks and stuff, but still, it's part of the game.

Here is a message I sent to a really skilled tester who wanted to test the game before the launch :

Although you seem to be a pretty good skilled tester, we don't need your help. Our goal is not to make the perfect game possible. Portal was rather good, but it had many flaws everywhere. Places where people could do tricks that seemed like cheating.

We need to have this kind of feeling, we need to be able to say "oh my god, I made this level myself and I never even though about this solution". We're only using "basic" testers, some of them are skilled, some aren't, and some of them didn't even really played Portal.

We also tested it on various configurations. I tested it myself on a dusty AMD 3000+, with a Radeon X1950 and on an Intel Core Duo with a Radeon X1600. Jéméry tested it on a Core 2 Duo 7100 with an NVidia 8400GT and Marc used an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 and a GeForce 8800 GT.
Don't take it too personnal, testers are only people in my direct friends.

Meanwhile, we're correcting stuff and changing a few details on the last level... Regarding the release date, nothing is really fixed for the moment, but the last test session is scheduled for this evening and we'll have a way better view of what's left to do.

Comments

September 22, 2008 6:13 PM, Anonymous Demonz said :
Ok. thanks for answer :). It is exact already going to be in October?

September 22, 2008 8:04 PM, Blogger RedForty said :
Guys, you rock! Thanks for keeping up this project and seeing it through to the end.

We need more people with your skills out there producing fresh content!

September 22, 2008 8:51 PM, Blogger uNCLEsAM098 said :
@Demonz: They've said they want to have a release date on October 10th for the year anniversary of the Orange box, so I don't see them releasing it 2 weeks early unless they get a real itch to give it out sooner than that. One can always hope though :)

Any word on the potential of having your own custom achievements?

September 22, 2008 9:06 PM, Blogger Exonfang said :
Good to see your only allowing minimum testers. It would kill me to see something like this leaked because of a corrupt tester.

Anyway, I'll be following this mod until release - keep up the good work.

September 22, 2008 10:10 PM, Anonymous esplode said :
As much as I want to help test, I'll just sit anxiously and check in every day (thank you RSS).

September 22, 2008 11:28 PM, Anonymous DemonStrate said :
Heh. That was to me. I'll be sure to use the limits of my game breaking ability once the mod is out. Mark my words, be ready to have your minds blown. :-D . Btw, my birthday is Oct. 10th, and that probably has some reason to why I like Portal so much, even if it just may be luck. I'll be expecting great things from this mod, just as you should expect great things from me.

September 22, 2008 11:32 PM, Blogger dylan said :
I also can't wait until this mod. I stumbled upon this website/mod the day after it was announced and I've been following your progress ever since. Keep up the great work and I can't wait for this.