Saturday, September 20, 2008

Day Six: Feedback

Six days have passed and the hype seems to slow down (fortunately). I had the time to answer to every email sent since monday and that was epic to see my inbox empty again.

Today, the two testers I gave the game yesterday managed to beat the adventure part. We talked during a long time, we shared a lot of screenshots, a lot of remarks and finally, we worked all day long to correct every bug that had been reported. You may want to know what they thought about the game ?

• D'un point de vue général, si tu devais donner une appréciation (par rapport à Portal ou pas, peu importe) et une note sur 10 si Portal était 10 ? Considering the game as a whole, if you had to give an appreciation (compared to Portal or not, I don't care) and a mark from zero to ten if Portal was ten ?
  • C'est très pro ce que tu as fait, un bon 9 je dirais. Sérieusement comme je te l'ai dit, ça vaut du Valve et tu ne t'éloignes pas du tout de leur univers. You did something really 'pro', I give you a 9 out of 10. Seriously, as I already said before, it looks like Valve's work, and you're not too far from what they did.
  • Moi, je donnerais 3 notes : 9 pour le scénario, 9 pour l'équilibrage de la difficulté et 7 pour la durée de vie (mais pas par rapport a Portal, c'est par rapport a moi-même). Ça vaut vraiment du Valve, c'est très 'pro'. I'd give you three marks : 9 for the story, 9 for the difficulty balance and 7 for the length of the game (but I'm not comparing to Portal, that's my own opinion). Really looks like Valve, looks 'pro'.

That was really great, they enjoyed the game like they enjoyed Portal, they thought the end was cool, and they laughed while listening to the developers commentaries. They only made one or two critics regarding the rather complex task of beating the final boss and the Aperture Science laboratories part. Hopefully nothing that couldn't be fixed before the release.

Transparency failure

For those of you who way want to learn a few new things about the game, we did an interview with Chris Evans from halflife2.net. Click here if you want to read it :
PS: Of course, commentaries subtitles will be in french and english.

Comments

September 20, 2008 10:48 PM, Blogger uNCLEsAM098 said :
Congratulations on the interview. I've been informing as many people as I can about the game, so a lot of friends of mine are psyched about the gamr as well now.

Is there potential for a new video, maybe with a spoiler on the beginning story? I hope there isn't any more on the gameplay and puzzles, as cool as it is, it tells me how to beat the puzzles before I even play them. :(

Also, have any ideas how this might play when competing with Portal 2, as Valve is making it a Prequel as well? Or rather, did you know about Valve's plans when you started the project?

Either way, still loving the screenshots (Showing your own Fail pics are quite funny, and show off the game at the same time... smart!)

September 21, 2008 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
i saw that you are making the commentary only in french; will you at least give subtitles in english? because i know this is going to be a great story, but a lot of us are going to miss out on what you hae to say if there's no way we can understand the commentary

September 21, 2008 2:17 AM, Blogger Nicolas said :
Of course, commentaries subtitles will be in english.

September 21, 2008 3:12 AM, Blogger X'estrix said :
I was wondering about English subs too :) Glad to hear that I'll be able to get the commentary as well. Keep up the good work, you guys are awesome :)

September 21, 2008 3:13 AM, Blogger NikoKun said :
I have a question... What language will the spoken dialog be in-game?

September 21, 2008 3:34 AM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@NikoKun:
Spoken dialog will be in english.

September 21, 2008 4:03 AM, Blogger NikoKun said :
@nicolas:
ah, thank you for clearing that up... I couldn't find that fact anywhere.

September 21, 2008 8:36 AM, Blogger Moonlup said :
I read in the interview that you're trying for an October 10th release. That I might be getting a brand new Portal adventure for my birthday is making me squee like you wouldn't believe. :D

Keep up the awesome work and thanks for doing this.

September 21, 2008 9:18 AM, Anonymous TunaSammich said :
You rooooooooooooooooooock.
Thank you for taking time out of your life to make fun for people who you don't even know (for freeeee!). Also contgrats on being contacted by Valve! I can't wait for this to come out, will be getting it on the first day. Save some bandwidth for meeeeeeee. :D

September 21, 2008 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Could you try to make those wallpapers in 16:10 format? I'd really like to have those wallpapers but they are too small for my wide screen monitors... :(

September 21, 2008 1:06 PM, Anonymous Capitaine Mousse said :
Yeah, i see with moreos if it's possible to do 1440*900 or higger wallpaper for Us, People with 16/10 screen

September 21, 2008 5:55 PM, Blogger nathan.zeppel said :
1680x1050 please :D

September 21, 2008 8:13 PM, Blogger Flashx11 said :
I just now found out about this today through Stumble-upon. I'll be sure to download this. It looks cool!

September 21, 2008 9:14 PM, Blogger Ben Jones is so retarded and therefore will one day end up dying after getting drunk and fighting a bloke then getting punched in the ***** cause he isn't as hard as he thinks. said :
@moonlup
YEAH MAN OCTOBER BIRTHDAY PORTAL MODS FOREVER! My bday is oct 4th and it'll be a great pressy lol.

September 21, 2008 9:26 PM, Blogger Captain Satsuma said :
Oops it seems I have had a name fail.
Just changed it on google accounts but it hasn't changed here - any idea why?

September 22, 2008 7:03 AM, Blogger Kris said :
Awweee man, you guys all rock my socks. I wish the release date was on the 13th, Birthday :D. Well, No need to rush, eh? Keep up the good work!