Friday, October 3, 2008

Day Nineteen: Expensive? Not really

I don't know what's going on with all those donation propositions, but really, it starts to get boring. Even my own familly advised me to put a donation link on the website. Of course we could, of course that would be legal and of course we would enjoy it. But there's a few things we don't want to.

• We don't want to earn money before the game is released. It wouldn't be fair, what if people disliked it in the first place?
  • We never thought about it during the first eight months, and now that it gained popularity, why should we abuse your sympathy even if we don't need anything?
  • We didn't lost a lot of money compared to the amount of work that have been done :
    • A dedicated server for development and hosting: 35.87€/month
    • A domain name: 6.99€/year
    • Three Portal: Prelude tee-shirts: 61.87€
    • Three tickets for the Festival du Jeu-Vidéo in Paris: 27.00€
    • Efforts, skills and time: 0.00€
  • I wouldn't know how to share it between the members of the team, what if someone (me) had made 90% of the work?
  • etc.

Really, it isn't a big deal compared to the amount of joy (and fatigue) this experience is bringing to us. We're newsed everywhere around the world, people are heavily enthusiastic, we're going to be published in magazines around the world (maybe) and it's a pretty solid thing to add to our resumes. This, plus the fact that we learnt a lot of things.

For me, it's already a great reward.
I'm not saying we're not considering putting a donation link ever, but for the moment, it's not the right moment.

PS: The release date is set on October 9, 2008 at 23:59 (GMT+02).

Comments

October 3, 2008 8:59 PM, Anonymous Valentin (the idea-email guy) said :
I think its right that you dont put a donation link on your site before the game is finished, because if there suddenly would be a big problem then all the donating was senseless, but by this amount of requests for donation-links you guys can see how populair your mod is, although its not released yet.

But however, as long as there is no donation link....feel donated by us all ^^

October 3, 2008 9:48 PM, Anonymous Darky said :
I never thought of it that way :D You're going to be in alot of PC magazines, the mod will be aviable to install from popular magazines... whoah, in this situation, even I wouldn't need any money - satisfaction is all I would need ;] But of course, after a game release, if people will still ask for donation link, it would be very appropriate (shit, how do you spell it? XD). Full satisfaction is one of the greatest awards, and is more valuable than money, but if people really want to help - make it easier for them ;]
---------
I am lucky to live in United Kingdom, because the time is moved back one hour. So for me, the actual release will be on 22:59, so I probably will be out of bet at the time :D But I'm not sure if I'll download it just on release, because loads of people will be downloading it at the same time (who knows, maybe the number will reach a freaking million!). The download speed could be from 5kb/s up to 40kb/s, what is pretty scary for 1.5GB :/ If you remember my post the two days ago, I've got problems with connection (someone said to forward ports - no, it doesn't work for LAN IP's - that's the whole point) but at the amount of people downloading it at one time, it would be faster for me at BitTorrent than direct download...

BTW. Can you tell the the exact number of mirror's you've got? I mean exact ;p You should know it without counting xD But if you don't, tell me the "about this" number of mirror's please ;)

October 3, 2008 10:12 PM, Blogger FvKey said :
yes, you should wait until the mod have been released...

and... the release date for me (Chile) is October 9th, 20:59!
Hell yeah! :D

October 3, 2008 10:15 PM, Anonymous Mike said :
6:00 here in PA, USA

Game looks awesome, thank you!

October 3, 2008 10:20 PM, Anonymous TheSpoon said :
Ok Nicolas. If you think so, It's fine. Thanks a lot for your exhaustive answer (and your patience :P)

06:02:39:01 until Portal: Prelude! :D

October 3, 2008 11:53 PM, Blogger fire.esper said :
That's both noble and clever of you.

If you're so inclined, I have a hunch a few donation-related services actually offer a donation cap, so you could accept donations for running the servers and hosting the files, etc. and nothing else.

October 4, 2008 12:11 AM, Blogger Zero1328 said :
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that last point is possible anyway. That might mean you're making a profit, which could get messy.

Anyway, donation money should be for compensation for your work, and you're not really out by much. You're not hosting the mod by yourself, and the costs you noted are part fandom stuff, and the rest just regular 'small website' costs.

Donating doesn't make sense to me, even if you wanted it, and you don't. If the questions get annoying, (even though you had it in the FAQ for ages,) make a fake donation link, give it a strikeout, and have it link to the question on the FAQ.

October 4, 2008 1:17 AM, Blogger Nicolas said :
Sorry, made a typo.
It is GMT+02, and not GMT+01.
Central Europe Daylight/Summer Time.

October 4, 2008 5:04 AM, Anonymous Mikel S. (madcat1030) said :
WOOT! October ninth, at 5:00 local time, swiggedy.

Can't wait, and hope to see a wonderful work of modding art,
Mikel S.

October 4, 2008 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
"we're going to be published in magazines around the world (maybe)"

Indeed, that's how I found out about this mod. There was a press item about your mod in one of Sweden's largest morning newspapers.

October 4, 2008 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Hey, first of all thanks for this project, just few days left :)

October 4, 2008 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
I saw that too. It was posted in the swedish newspaper "Dagens Nyheter", which is one of the most respected daily newspapers in sweden at the moment. I think I got it somewhere around here for upload... If I can be bothered :P

Congratulations! You guys are awesome! :D

October 4, 2008 4:06 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
As I wrote in the next article of the blog, we'd really like to see that newspaper! =D