Monday, October 13, 2008

Official Walkthrough

Our "official" walkthrough of Portal: Prelude is now finished. Why bother making our own walkthrough? Because we found that a lot of "unoffical" ones are using way too difficult and unnatural solutions and doing a lot of unnecessarilly complex things. Not that it can't work, but it gives the impression that one can only beat this mod with tricks and stuff... There is no need for tricks and we'll prove it in this walkthrough.

We decided to use veoh.com because of three reasons. It allows the creation of channels where you can play all the videos in a row. It has a somewhat good quality, somewhere between the crappy Youtube and the "too-much" Vimeo. And it will allow us to let people do their own walkthrough on Youtube without interfering. If you know another website that can allow people to upload videos from an URL, feed free to tell us. We won't upload 1.63 GB of videos from our own private connexions, it would take days.

Watch our Veoh channel

PS: Yes, I know, there's the same text on the walkthrough page, I'm lazy. Also, I'm uploading a ZIP version for those who have problems with the installer.

Comments

October 13, 2008 9:02 PM, Blogger Matt said :
Nice Walkthrough

First comment!

October 13, 2008 9:07 PM, Anonymous Cake said :
Je regarderai le walkthrough plus tard, pour comparer avec ce que j'ai fait pour passer les niveaux.

Par contre, j'ai terminé la chambre 3 et 9 en niveau avancée, et la chambre 12 ne se débloque pas... Il faut que je termine aussi les challenges ? :(

October 13, 2008 9:22 PM, Anonymous Jogurcik said :
Good work guys! but... i want to see walkthrough of level 20 :P

October 13, 2008 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Man, I feel stupid about chamber 2 now, though you could have placed the wall differently :\
And what about the GLaDOS fight? Or is it really that luck based?

October 13, 2008 9:22 PM, Blogger kibermaster said :
Live in Ukraine. Can`t watch thru veoh ):

October 13, 2008 9:27 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@kibermaster:
Then, download the videos you need on the walkthrough page ^^

October 13, 2008 9:31 PM, Anonymous AnimaguS said :
Hi! thanks for it! but i think you forgot the really last chamber,the GLADOS fight.

October 13, 2008 9:31 PM, Blogger Anders H said :
Heh, I'm glad you proved the non-crouching technique on Test 02.

October 13, 2008 9:42 PM, Anonymous Fabio Bracht said :
Veoh? No, no, no, no, noooooo!!! FAIL.

Veoh's not available to a WHOLE BUNCH of countries, mine (Brazil) included.

"Oh, you can just download it." Seriously, who the hell download videos these days? Streaming is the way to go.

October 13, 2008 9:44 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
Oh come one!
Give us a break please.

October 13, 2008 9:48 PM, Blogger kibermaster said :
@Nikolas
Waghaghah. My internet connection is 1 megabit. Its too slow for this kind of weight.

October 13, 2008 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Ohh, f*ck. Why Veoh?

I have to agree with fabio bracht, Veoh is also not available in my country (Hungary). And of course, I could download it, but again, streaming is better. :)

Anyway, I already played through Portal: Prelude once (and I'm gonna do it a few more times :D), but I want to know how you do it. :D

October 13, 2008 9:54 PM, Anonymous sg3s said :
You don't need the companion cube :)

:p

PS, Can we have the forums back? Please? Maybe you can arrange an other server to use for that?... That would make it possible for helping you help us help us all etc. Just put some moderation on the forums to prevent endless flamewars...

I am willing to help with that if you like...

October 13, 2008 10:12 PM, Anonymous Ross said :
"Veoh is no longer available in SOUTH AFRICA"

October 13, 2008 10:20 PM, Anonymous sg3s said :
@ ross

That is no problem if you can still use youtube... Just remember to use your own clear conscience as well because some of the clips there are indeed overly complex... But it all works...

October 13, 2008 10:42 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
As I said in the news (edited):

October 13, 2008 10:53 PM, Anonymous MuleJuice said :
Thanks for the walkthru. I had issues with TC 3 until I learned the trick. TC 19 was very sneaky...I knew I heard something else moving...I just didn't think to look under the stairs.

Awesome job with Prelude, I thouroughly enjoyed it

October 13, 2008 10:56 PM, Blogger Manny said :
It's strange, I was hating myself for the not being able to pass chamber 2, so then I go and try it, and I guess I just suck, or am unlucky, because I can't shoot myself up to the wall like in the guide.

October 13, 2008 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
This walk through was simply unnecessary.
the game is great and not too hard, it's just that people got used to the new easy games on the market and this mod really took me back to the good all days when games really placed a challenge. the only bad thing about it is that it was too short(and the voices) but i think a good game is a game that gives you the sense of achievement while ending it and i think you should go with that line and make the game even harder.

October 13, 2008 11:21 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
We know "last anonymous", that's why we did a walkthrough. People that are stuck can watch it, and people who aren't just ignore it. Just like our good old soluces and plain text walkthrough.

October 13, 2008 11:24 PM, Blogger manut said :
Having the same problem as a lot of people here. Veoh isn't available in my country.

October 13, 2008 11:49 PM, Anonymous sg3s said :
@ manut

youtube, hf

October 14, 2008 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
Veoh isn't available in my country either!

Can someone upload the official walkthrough to what works... YOUTUBE!

October 14, 2008 6:08 AM, Anonymous turbo9000 said :
Seeing them do the fling so easily on 19 fills me with rage. I could swear my terminal velocity is restrained lower than theirs... no matter how many times or how hard I fly out of the portal I can never reach that accursed ledge.

October 14, 2008 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
What about gettign to glados and beating glados?

October 14, 2008 7:50 AM, Anonymous Dosia36 said :
Can I get a text for translation?

October 14, 2008 8:56 AM, Anonymous Pitel said :
Veoh is no longer available in CZECH REPUBLIC.

October 14, 2008 9:14 AM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@turbo9000:
Try to keep the forward key pressed to get even more momentum.

October 14, 2008 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
thx for the walkthrough - i had a hard crash (crash to Desktop) if i open a Door in the Laboratory after beating GlaDOS (Level 20)

October 14, 2008 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
To those who want to have a video walkthrough for glados, here's the solution as simple as it is:

First, try not to get killed.
Then, take the Module and bring it to GlaDOS.

Glad to have helped you.

October 14, 2008 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
A little "bug":

After finishing chamber 19, I used the chairs to broke the glass and got the portalgun immediately. Then I got the Module and took it with me to Glados - now the ending was all messed up ^^

I was sure that this was the normal way ^^

October 14, 2008 6:17 PM, Anonymous Rafq said :
I am really ashemed about myself. Because of the walkthrough, it shows like for a baby how easy it is...

UBER FAIL...

I finished Prelude before walkthrough release, and after that I see that everychamber i've passed I have done in the wrong way...

Peace for moddev team!

October 14, 2008 6:49 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :
@Rafq:
There is your way, and our way ^^
There is no good or bad way!

October 15, 2008 1:54 AM, Blogger William Billingsley said :
Chamber 9 is easier (in terms of not having to do twitchy mid-air portal placement) using a very simple trick. Point the gun at the wall next to the glass, and place the orange portal right next to the glass. Now fire the blue portal directly at the orange portal; it will appear just to the left of the orange portal as it always does if there's room -- but in this case, this happens to mean it appears the other side of the glass.

Then you casually step halfway into the portal, and look down across the swamp. Fire the orange portal into the "secret" alcove, and hold the back key so you pass back through the blue portal and pop out of the new orange portal into the alcove (and hear the "you thought I was not watching you" message). Do the same half-in-portal placement to reach the metal support frame underneath the ledge near the exit, and repeat twice to climb up.

The nice thing is you can quicksave while standing half-through each portal, breaking it up into nice easy chunks. Great if, like me, you don't play games that often and don't have those finely honed reflexes for placing portals accurately while whizzing up and down through them.

On the downside, the message near the exit (wondering where the other observer went) doesn't make sense if you've heard the "you thought I was not watching you" message suggesting the other observer did stay after all.

October 16, 2008 11:36 AM, Anonymous snipe4fun said :
wtf, i put the portal in the same spot, jump from the same spot, even tried jumping backwards, and reversing direction after coming out the portal.

And I'm still stuck on level 2.

Just showing it happen doesn't help.

how about a description? it seems like i'm getting turned around in the portals half the time, and other times not?

very frustrating, I made it through portal in one sitting, and though I was hoping for some new challenges, this is pretty harsh. And I've got 18 levels to go? ugh

October 17, 2008 12:44 AM, Blogger firehead257 said :
yeah the game definitely glitches when you bring the module in the room

I fly around GlaDOS for a few seconds (like a cinematic, no portal gun in front of me) then she grabs me and throws me around until I die.

the times I have managed to live I can't find the module anywhere and she has way too many weapons so I don't live very long.

any help would be appreciated

- sean

October 17, 2008 5:38 PM, Anonymous Sarda [CP] said :
Basically, you just need to try not to get slammed into lots of things, easily accomplished by holding down the forward key and jumping lots. Once set down, you only have ~8 seconds to grab the module and plug it in the back of GLaDOS. My only complaint is that the space for plugging it in is a little small.

October 17, 2008 7:03 PM, Blogger firehead257 said :
8 seconds?

I wish

Basically she's constantly attacking me. By the time I figure out where she set the module down and run over to it, I grab it, and then she takes it away and slams me around.

The second I get set down those little flying things are attacking me and the energy ripples on the floor are killing me, OR the lazer beam is killing me.

There are too many things to avoid and I usually die within seconds.

I wasn't pissed off at this game at all (ok a little, because it is hard, but not impossible) until this part.

The GlaDOS fight is a giant clusterfuck that's totally based on luck.

Like I said, I'm too busy being attacked by 4 different elements all at the same time to even have a chance.

- sean

December 6, 2008 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said :
I am stuck at the start of level 2 - the part in the walk through where it says "no crouching". I have tried to get across the gap in a variety of ways but they all fail. The thing that is odd is that in the version I have, unlike the official walk through - there is a metal grate on the far side. Is something going on here?

March 30, 2009 9:06 PM, Blogger Denilson Sá said :
Veoh is no longer available in BRAZIL. If you are not in BRAZIL or think you have received this message in error, please go to veoh.com and report the issue.

March 30, 2009 10:34 PM, Blogger Nicolas said :