Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 27-11-2009 03:12:01

riahc3

Was Portal: Prelude too easy, too hard, or OK?

(No polls? Why not?)

Hey

I was wondering what other players thought of Portal: Prelude. The story was pretty good but the gameplay...

I think one thing is making a game that isnt just another mappack.....But another thing is making something almost impossible. The game is way too hard to enjoy IMO. Example: Portal: The Flash Version was a bit harder but actually enjoyable, just lacked a story.

#2 18-12-2009 05:44:29

bazrael

Re: Was Portal: Prelude too easy, too hard, or OK?

EPIC HARD & TOUGH (in my opinion)

#3 28-01-2010 21:24:30

poke86

ludicrously hard. unplayable.

#4 28-01-2010 23:36:41

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Well, that's three of you against a million.
Just kidding, we can't please anyone wink

#5 30-01-2010 01:00:56

thedoc

I like difficult puzzle games... and I like technically difficult arcade games. As such i have no issues with trying to combine the two to make an advanced version of portal. 

Where prelude falls down unfortunately is in its approach to level design.  It looks like it has been discussed before but the whole lvl 18/19 debacle really is dissapointing.

The fact that you need to go back to lvl 18 if you didn't pick up the cube could possibly be fun if it was in some way trailed or hinted at in 19... but in fact it would be very easy for poor sods to spend hours trying to perfect the jump in 19... only to realise that there is a problem after hours of wasted time.  This isn't hard... this is taking the piss.  By the same token the jump in 19 goes beyond what I would count as being an acceptable level of difficulty.  I have made the jump without cheating... but disliked the whole experience so much it pretty much ruined the game for me. 

There are similar niggles with a poorly thought out 'flow' to several of the other levels - but not to the same extent.

Good effort guys - very impressive stuff overall.  I think you could be real assets to a game design company - but you would need lots of supervision and editing from more experienced team members based on this example.

So - my opinion.... it is too hard.  But overall I am glad I experienced it. You would turn off a lot of your core audience with the level of frustration you create however.

Last edited by thedoc (30-01-2010 01:01:53)

#6 30-01-2010 18:27:02

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Agreed on the level 19 part, the jump is hard enough to execute just to figure you missed the cube. That's something we didn't had the opportunity to fix, because we didn't had the motivation and the time to modify the whole level before the release. On the other hand, we did turn off a lot of our core audience from the start. But that was totally something we wanted to do, build a harder Portal, not a mere copy. We announced it from the start. We were not looking for broad audience.

#7 30-01-2010 21:41:10

thedoc

By core audience I mean people like me - who want a challenging game and have no issue with adding some mouse skills to the portal dynamic.  I would argue that the 18/19 ending to this game would only be enjoyed by hard core massochists though... thus alienating what i envisage the 'core' audience of prelude to be (the game up till then was challenging and imaginative.)   

There may be guys out there (probably dressed in gimp suits with their testicles in a vice and needles under their fingernails for good measure) just loving the way they need to practice the jump on level 19 1000 times before they make it.... and then discovering that they wasted their time cause they needed a cube... but I'm guessing they are few and far between.

#8 30-01-2010 22:51:22

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Yeah, that's why I said we screwed this part.
There's no way I'm gonna believe that the whole game is as hard as this.

#9 03-02-2010 09:06:15

Cprossu

I was actually happy with alot of things, and still enjoyed the game.
It was difficult and I loved it, frustration wasn't really something I experienced with the original portal, even though I _wanted_ to at times.

some chambers were really difficult and I face palmed through a few chambers that were easy to complete, yet I found a way to complicate it so I had to do a 1/1000 portal jump that took 45 seconds just to set up instead of noticing a grate in the ceiling xD.

I personally figured that on lvl 19 I would need a cube because I didn't think the devs would let us off so easy, especially considering it was a companion cube, and it was difficult to extract at that. The logic puzzle in 18 was actually one of my favorite parts of the game, actually (although it was not fun when I got off a button too soon, only to find out that the gate wouldn't lift and I had a 50.50 shot of the cube being totalled int he process)

#10 16-02-2010 11:29:47

TrigrX

Loved the difficulty. Loved the game. It was challenging and enjoyable. Level 18 and 19 was the hardest of course but with practice the jump became natural. It was also sort of obvious that you needed the companion cube from the previous room anyway considering you could warp to room 19 skipping 18 completely. I played this game over two days and finished it pretty smoothly .. so for me it was a challenge.

#11 04-09-2010 21:29:51

SpeZek

I loved the difficulty as well, and, actually, 18 and 19 were my favourite rooms just because they really required you to think. The jumps weren't that hard, really.

I thought the challenge level was spot on, and the pacing was great.

#12 06-09-2010 03:08:20

Jackh8798

well portal is Ok, not that just hard or easy or hard its only in the middle.
Although I encountered some error like when I install it at first it didn't function well I reinstall it and on the
second time it works.
but those are minor error only .

over all Portal is great.

#13 12-09-2010 19:14:19

taplonaplo

It was challenging, but not too difficulty. Knowing the crouch jump definitely helped. Chamber 19 didn't have any difficult jump really, it probably took more tries to escape the 4 turrets in the 1st room than to get up there. The only part i got stuck was chamber 19 under the stair portal, which in retrospect isn't so difficult but i somehow didn't notice the moving step for quite some time; and the first GLaDOS encounter coz of the laser really hurts when you are running around trying to figure out what to do.

#14 15-04-2011 06:36:13

AtlasRedux

Puzzles was OK, execution was HELL.
Valve themselves even has lowered the difficulty of executing the puzzles in Portal 2 according to themselves due to noticing players knew HOW to solve the puzzle, but it was hard for some to execute it.
That being said, a lot of effort was put into Prelude and some parts were fun and actually managing to get past the horrible hard ones was satisfying.
I did not however play through 100% yet due to irritation wink I'll give it a go again after Portal 2 ^^

#15 21-04-2011 03:11:15

Tabun

Very hard, over all.

Puzzle-difficulty
Nice. A bit harder than Portal. Well-balanced and pleasantly rewarding one for paying attention. When it comes to puzzles, they can't be difficult enough, generally, so these could have been even more difficult to suit my tastes.

Execution-difficulty
What makes Prelude really challenging. For most puzzles it was spot on for me. Pushing me to avoid being sloppy. In some cases (obv. lvl19) a bit frustrating. It would have helped to have known in advance that portal funneling must be disabled to do some tricks, and I didn't know that pressing jump at the right times while in-air makes you fly out of portals faster. Stuff like that was necessary for me to complete the thing, so I would have appreciated in-game advice on that score. Other than that, I'm sided entirely on the non-whining player-base of prelude. I feel a modicum of pride at having finished the thing without cheating -- something which I can in no way say about Portal itself.

People who complain that this mod is too hard, or think that there's no large enough player base for frustratingly difficult games, should be reminded of such gems as I want to be the guy or nethack. Those games are extremely difficult, and loved for that very reason. Neither is very "fair" to the player. Especially in that last respect, Prelude doesn't even come close to being as difficult as either -- proving again that it could have been even harder without losing its solid base of admiring players.

Thumbs up for keeping it as hard as it is. Those who can't stand the heat have plenty of easy games to fumble about in! ;]

#16 27-04-2011 14:56:13

xdiesp

Too hard, sucks the fun out of it.

#17 17-05-2011 20:44:11

matejdro

I think jumps and stuff were too hard to execute sometimes.

I like difficult puzzles. As puzzle i mean when you have to figure out what to do. But i don't like when you figure it out, but you can't make it, because jumps are very hard (for examle jump at level 19) or you cannot throw portal quickly enough because you just went through another portal and cannot re-orientate so fast (I'm always so disorientated when going through portals). That's why i like Valve's maps from original Portal and Portal 2 (you need some time to figure it out, but when you do, it's easy to accomplish it).

Last edited by matejdro (17-05-2011 21:20:07)

#18 01-08-2011 11:56:46

dentist1

I think it is hard to play. But still really interesting.

#19 23-01-2012 07:33:00

mvs

Too hard. The fun of portal isn't in the technical skill it takes to execute random jumps. I was looking forward to this mod, but I have no desire bore myself to death by repeating the same jump 100 times until I get it *just right*.

#20 13-03-2012 19:36:28

Vexzal

yeah it was pretty difficult, especially how the portals were backwards (you jumped into one you came out of the other one facing the wrong direction) it really took away from the experience, its not all about perfectly, on the dot jumps, or difficulty, also it didn't feel like it fit, since it was a prelude they should have at least made it start and increase at the same rate of difficulty as the original portal, it felt more like a jump puzzle plat former, than a 3D physics puzzle game

#21 15-09-2012 11:34:58

bondenza

hard-OK, but this hardly tests is what made Portal:Prelude so epic.

In my opinion Portal 2 is cuasi-perfect, the only fail I see is too easy, made for kids or something or for console players I don't know, very automatic, just open portal in the only white panel in the entire map and jump, insulting to intelligence in my opinion.

Board footer