Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 18-05-2010 08:29:00

ncinerate

An easy solution for the "fake voices"

Amazing mod, enjoyed it throughout.

I was thinking in regards to the fake voices, that you could easily make this "normal" by explaining it away early as voice modulation/disguise. For example, in an early test chamber you could add a tiny bit of dialog like:

"Hello Abby, do you remember me?"
"Of course she doesn't. She can't see faces through this glass and we use the voice modulator in there."
"Oh, well it's me, Peter."
"You're not supposed to use your real name you idiot."
"Well it's not like it's going to matter, she probably won't make it past..."
"Don't spoil it, stick to the protocol you idiot."
"I'm sorry, lets start over. Hello Abby, I'm not Peter."
"Oh just shut up. Abby, for this next room you bla bla bla bla bla........................."

It would still require a bit of "actual" voice talent in the last little section of the game when she gets out of the test chambers, but that's a drop in the bucket. A couple lines of computer spoken dialog solves 95% of the voice oddness throughout the game. Makes things a bit more solid and immersive in the player's mind.

You guys are probably done messing around with this mod though, so it's unlikely you'll bother changing it at this point. Just figured I'd throw in my two cents. Thanks again for a good time!

Last edited by ncinerate (18-05-2010 08:30:42)

#2 18-05-2010 10:30:18

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: An easy solution for the "fake voices"

Actually, that's a pretty clever idea.
Why weren't you there a year and a half ago?
big_smile

#3 22-05-2010 05:39:45

ncinerate

Yeah, I'm late, I know.

I'm not sure how I didn't realize Portal had a fan made prequel until very recently. Probably didn't help that I purchased the orange box on the xbox 360 and never bothered to pick it up on the PC until this recent free giveaway. Picked it up again on a lark and decided to see if someone had released custom levels. I was pretty surprised to discover a whole new playing experience, and it was great!

Anyway, thanks for the fun. Just thought I'd toss out an idea if there was any chance you were still messing with the mod.

#4 04-02-2011 14:21:31

Arriator

As we're talking about dialogs...
I've tried to change and perfect the german subtitles for THE WHOLE GAME, I start up Portal: Prelude and NOTHING changed!! BAAAAAAAAAAH! I DID IT FOR NO REASON D:<

GLaDOS: The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
*Companion Cube stabs Chell*
GLaDOS: WELL, I did NOT say it won't ever REALLY stab you, in fact, it is perfectly capable of doing so!

#5 04-02-2011 17:45:54

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Arriator wrote:

As we're talking about dialogs...
I've tried to change and perfect the german subtitles for THE WHOLE GAME, I start up Portal: Prelude and NOTHING changed!! BAAAAAAAAAAH! I DID IT FOR NO REASON D:<

Reworking the subtitles requires more than just editing a few txt files.
THese need to be compiled afterwards.

Board footer