Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-2010 20:47:22

C420
Member
Registered: 17-03-2010

Gave up at test chamber 3

This game is too dam hard....
Even after watching the official walkthrough, I couldn't get past test chamber 3.
It doesn't even seem to depend on how good you are,
It seems to depend on pure luck and how much time you got.
No wonder why this mod is free.

Last edited by C420 (19-03-2010 22:24:03)

Offline

 

#2 19-03-2010 22:33:57

NykO18
Administrator
From: Montréal, QC
Registered: 29-08-2008
Website

Re: Gave up at test chamber 3

I feel sorry for you. Unfortunately, this is far from being what most people think of the mod. I think you'd rather get better at Portal before trying this and assuming that the problem comes from the mod itself.
By the way, the mod is free because we don't have the permission to sell a mod, which doesn't mean we'd have preferred to have people pay for it.

Offline

 

#3 12-05-2010 03:22:09

ToeCutter
Member
Registered: 12-05-2010

Re: Gave up at test chamber 3

Um, yeah. I'm with C420.

When I found this mod, I was wondering "How is it even remotely possible I've not heard of this mod?" Now I know why: It's not that great of a mod. In fact it's closer to a practical joke than a playable mod.

This mod relies upon "twitch jumps" and nothing more than pure dumb luck to complete the levels. I too gave up on Test Chamber 3 because the last jump isn't just difficult, it's improbable. Perhaps I'll make it after 68 tries? And why do the NPCs on this chamber mention "crouch jumping" when it's not required (nay, impossible if you do crouch) to finish the chamber?

There's a world of difference between a challenging puzzle, and a trick puzzle. Portal Prelude is just one big trick puzzle.

And, BAD FORM for opening a forum to ask for feedback, only to tease posters about their lame Portal skills when they leave anyting except a glowing review.

Perhaps the mod authors should go back and play through Portal a few times to learn what made the game so damn fun. (Hint: It ain't trick jumps)

Nice effort, but I'll pass on trying to make through another 20 or so levels of this.

Offline

 

#4 12-05-2010 10:26:33

NykO18
Administrator
From: Montréal, QC
Registered: 29-08-2008
Website

Re: Gave up at test chamber 3

ToeCutter wrote:

And, BAD FORM for opening a forum to ask for feedback, only to tease posters about their lame Portal skills when they leave anyting except a glowing review.

Yeah right, because asking for feedback totally means we have to agree with everything that's being said, naturally. It's not us who can't take reviews, because obviously, we took some veeery bad reviews over the course of the last two years and we're quite used to it. Most of them where really helpful in fixing the game during the first six months. The problem is that people think we should totally agree with everything they say because they are the "customers". The point is, there's no such thing as "customers" around here and we don't care if people don't like our mod, it's not like it's going to cost us anything. So yeah, we're replying by giving our real opinion and not commercial bullshit like you seem to be used to hear.
Also, "No wonder why this mod is free." is a glowing review, of course. Totally helpful :D

ToeCutter wrote:

Perhaps the mod authors should go back and play through Portal a few times to learn what made the game so damn fun. (Hint: It ain't trick jumps)

Perhaps some players should get their heads out of their butts and realize the mod's called "Portal: Prelude" and not "Portal: Episode 2" or "Portal: The Exact Same Game Twice". Portal was no particular fun for me and a bunch of people I know, simply because it was damn too easy and we made that mod to get ourselves a bit of challenge. You may not like Ubisoft's Alexandra Ledermann's games and that's not a reason for you to go on their forums saying the game is just crap. You don't because obviously you're not part of the target audience... I'm not asking for reviews about how much you can't beat the game, because obviously, that was a bit the whole point. If you're not up to the challenge, we *really* don't care, just don't play it. Sorry if you can't understand this, but we always fought in favor of challenging games and not brainless interactive movies. The sole fact that 1/4th of the people who reviewed the game thought it was awesome is largely enough for us, because it simply means it's not impossible, just harder than usual.

ToeCutter wrote:

Nice effort, but I'll pass on trying to make through another 20 or so levels of this.

... and we can totally understand why, this mod has never been made to please anyone.
Which doesn't mean this was an error from our part, hence the word of warning before you download and launch it.

By the way, there's no such thing as "tricks" in the mod. I can assure you there's absolutely no need of tricks to finish the game, just look at the walkthrough on the website. It all relies on *thinking* with portals and every room requires that you *think* about it for a while before you try. It has been confirmed by an interesting number of players and I'm pretty confident they were not lying. But of course, if you're using Portal as a model of grandeur, that may cause you some troubles because obviously, Portal didn't need a lot of thinking with portals. Just boringly shooting walls and progressing without any real difficulty. Now I'm not saying 100% of the game relies on thinking, there's some tricky spots that we realized were too tricky too late in the development progress and couldn't change them, like chamber 3 (indeed), 9 and 19, but that doesn't make the whole mod "tricky", that's just some harder spots you have to deal with. Of course, I'm not asking you to understand this since you seem to give up on things quite easily, ain't you?

Now you shouldn't take this post too seriously because I love to tease our players, but hopefully that will make you think about it a bit more.

Offline

 

#5 14-01-2011 03:11:35

Arriator
Member
From: You Don't Want To Know
Registered: 14-01-2011

Re: Gave up at test chamber 3

ToeCutter wrote:

Um, yeah. I'm with C420.

When I found this mod, I was wondering "How is it even remotely possible I've not heard of this mod?" Now I know why: It's not that great of a mod. In fact it's closer to a practical joke than a playable mod.

This mod relies upon "twitch jumps" and nothing more than pure dumb luck to complete the levels. I too gave up on Test Chamber 3 because the last jump isn't just difficult, it's improbable. Perhaps I'll make it after 68 tries? And why do the NPCs on this chamber mention "crouch jumping" when it's not required (nay, impossible if you do crouch) to finish the chamber?

There's a world of difference between a challenging puzzle, and a trick puzzle. Portal Prelude is just one big trick puzzle.

And, BAD FORM for opening a forum to ask for feedback, only to tease posters about their lame Portal skills when they leave anyting except a glowing review.

Perhaps the mod authors should go back and play through Portal a few times to learn what made the game so damn fun. (Hint: It ain't trick jumps)

Nice effort, but I'll pass on trying to make through another 20 or so levels of this.

Maybe you'll just keep on trying dude. I also just made it after 4 minutes due to luck. And? Many puzzles depend on luck. In fact, every single game on the world depends - even if it's just a little bit - on luck. So keep on trying, and THEN post.

~~That was my opinion, if you think any other way, good for you.~~


GLaDOS: The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
*Companion Cube stabs Chell*
GLaDOS: WELL, I did NOT say it won't ever REALLY stab you, in fact, it is perfectly capable of doing so!

Offline

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB