Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 09-02-2009 03:55:58

Gamer_Z.
Website

Rat Man

I was wondering if anyone had heard any good theories about the "Rat Man" (the guy who wrote "The cake is a lie").  Who is he?  Did he work for Aperture?  Was he there in the Prelude days?  Was just he a random test subject?  Was he forced into the test by GLaDOS?

My friends and I have been discussing this and I was wondering if the experts had anything to say.

Gamer_Z. || Please try my map pack: http://sites.google.com/site/zmappack

#2 09-02-2009 08:09:44

cbrain
Website

Re: Rat Man

I think he was part of GLaDOS' tests because he writes "She's watching you" in a few places.

Last edited by cbrain (09-02-2009 08:10:08)

#3 09-02-2009 19:46:13

Gamer_Z.
Website

Do you mean the initial tests (i.e. the ones in Prelude)?

#4 10-02-2009 08:09:27

cbrain
Website

No I mean in Portal, but it may be in Prelude too.

#5 10-02-2009 14:38:20

Blury

But there are also walls writen by the "Rat Man" in Prelude. Maybe there are a lot of people who became mad when testing.

#6 10-02-2009 17:45:46

Gamer_Z.
Website

Actually, I was wondering why someone wrote "The cake is a lie" in Prelude when it really was not a lie (until it was burned up at the end).  Maybe the person was just insane.  Although why would there be Companion Cube pictures in test chamber 16 if you do not get the cube until 18?

Also, one of my friends thought a/the Rat Man (probably the one from Portal if there are multiple) was an Aperture employee and tried to fight GLaDOS because when you are fighting her in Portal, she says "...you're not a doctor, you're not a scientist, you're not even a full time employee."

Last edited by Gamer_Z. (10-02-2009 17:59:25)

#7 14-02-2009 22:12:54

Gamer_Z.
Website

I just played through the Prelude commentary mode.  In chamber 17 (or somewhere around there), Nyk018 seems to suggest that Cave Johnson is the Rat Man.  That would explain why his user name and password appear on the walls.  I had always assumed the Rat Man hacked into the system and found the user information (and possibly that is how he found out about GLaDOS), but am I interpreting Nyk's comments correctly?

Last edited by Gamer_Z. (16-02-2009 19:43:57)

#8 06-06-2009 01:51:55

The Gman

Well let's think...

1) The Rat Man was obviously the first test subject. If anyone would wright all of those comments it would be him.

2)  If he was the first test subject, he couldn't be random. He would have to volunteer.

3) The Rat Man cannot be Cave Johnson. The Combine Overwiki states that Cave Johnson is the founder of Aperture Science. Cave chose the Rat Man. Cave would not risk killing himself to test the facility. He would keep himself alive to run the company.

(My Sig Here...)

#9 06-06-2009 05:18:47

Gamer_Z.
Website

The interesting thing is that in Portal there are references to GLaDOS in the Rat Man's writings (ex: "She's watching you!", as cbrain also mentioned), but ther are also Rat Man areas in Prelude.  I had always thought of the Rat Man as the first subject to oppose GLaDOS, but you bring up an interesting point: that the (or a) Rat Man may have actually been the first test subject of all.

Also, I agree that Cave Johnson is probably not the Rat Man.  I was just wondering if NykO18 thinks differently (or if I am misinterpreting his comments).

#10 06-06-2009 18:44:36

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Well, no one's really sure what it's all about.
It's all just theories.

#11 07-06-2009 22:30:38

kazluc

Well, Prelude isn't an OFFICIAL prequel to Portal, so the Rat Man areas in it shouldn't really be taken seriously. I too think that he was probably one of the first test subjects, but with all of his rebellious writings on the wall i wouldn't think he actually volunteered.
Actually, i was under the impression that NONE of the test subjects volunteered. My friend had the idea that maybe all of the test subjects, including the Rat Man, were taken from hospitals, like they were pronounced terminal or something and so they were stole out of the hospital and donated as test subjects, and then forced to participate in the tests.
I dunno, it's all in theory. I'm actually pretty interested in his story, so i started writing a fanfiction about it, lol.

#12 18-10-2009 07:35:12

GLaDOS

Hmmmmm.......unless it was an Aperture Science Employee that wrote the writing.....
Probulary not.
...But, you never know, the rat man could have been GLaDOS, but that would be impossible...
OR WOULD IT?
But, I mean, seriously, a giant robot that can write, sounds impossible...
Although, Portal and Portal: Prelude are computer games...
And anything can happen in a computer game!
wink

>GLaDOS<

#13 07-07-2010 08:46:01

schok

Like someone said before,I think the writing on the walls of portal:prelude  should be taken as being there just for the ambiance and should not really be taken as a part of the storie of the portal storyline.Portal:prelude is just a mod,and it's fun if it works with the storie of portal 1 but it's not force to.

For me,I really think that Cave johnson is the one who write on the walls.It explain the username and password written on the walls.Of cource,it dont work if we take the walls-writting of portal:prelude like being part of the storie,cause in this case he must be one of the first subject(and why would he write messages with his blood?He could exit the test chambers anytimes,being the director),but it work perfectly if we think just about the portal 1 story:he would have been captured by GLaDOS and forced to do the test chambers after she took the control of the facility,and then put messages for helping others test subjects to escape and destroy GLaDOS.

That's what i think.

Last edited by schok (07-07-2010 08:47:54)

Board footer