Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 22-05-2010 01:27:32

NykO18
Administrator
Website

How to make Portal: Prelude run on Mac OS

────────────────────
WHY PORTAL: PRELUDE DON'T RUN ON MAC OS
────────────────────

I've been investigating with a mac-user friend for 4 hours what could be going wrong with Portal on Mac OS to prevent Portal: Prelude from running and the news are half bad and half good.

The bad news is that Valve lied to us (again) when they said the Mac version of Portal was a "native versions rather than emulation" and that "PC and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step" [source]. The Mac version is very different than the PC version in the way that it partially drops the support for third party mods. I don't know if this was intentional and if they're aware of it, but it sucks bad. If you want to express your disappointment, you should directly email Valve's CEO and tell him: gaben@valvesoftware

The good news is that it's still possible to make Portal: Prelude run under Mac OS using a few extra steps I'm going to explain.

────────────────────
PROCEDURE TO MAKE PORTAL: PRELUDE RUN UNDER MAC OS IN 5 STEPS (FROM BADAWAT)
────────────────────

1) Download Portal Prelude for OSX and the 2013 startup hotfix.
2) Extract the Portal Prelude zip file anywhere.
3) Update the extracted Portal Prelude folder with the fix by replacing the gameinfo files (and eventually media folder) from Portal Prelude with the fixes.
4) Place Portal Prelude folder in /Users/<your Mac OS user>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/sourcemods/

If you can't see the Library folder on your mac you need to :
a) turn on "show hidden files"
OR b) Navigate to it via Steam

Open Steam, navigate to your games Library, find Portal, then ctrl+click (right click) on Portal, open 'Properties', then click on 'Local Files' tab, then click 'Browse Local Files'.
This will open the Portal game folder in Finder.
Navigate left to 'Steam Apps' and copy Portal Prelude into the 'sourcemods' folder.

5) Restart Steam and its in the games library in Steam. Very awesome!

────────────────────
OLD PROCEDURE TO MAKE PORTAL: PRELUDE RUN UNDER MAC OS
────────────────────

First, install Portal and Portal: Prelude. You should put Portal: Prelude content in the /Users/<your Mac OS user>/Documents/Steam Content/sourcemods/portal prelude folder. Watch out though, because they said this location was going to change soon. If you encounter a problem while unzipping Portal: Prelude it's because there is something wrong with the default Mac OS un-archiver, just check the file's md5 checksum, it should be 4e004117db24d55106e755392e8d4f2a. Using the unzip command-line tool works just great. I don't know what's wrong but I re-uploaded a version that was created under Mac OS for what it's worth, we'll see if this changes something.

Then problems arise. The Mac OS version seems to drop the support of the -game parameter and thus, the support of third party mods in an elegant manner. Also, it seems that it drops the support of spaces in folders, thus, "portal prelude" is not recognized anymore. What you have to do is to create a symbolic link in another location to make Portal aware that new content is available. For this, you have to open Terminal (using Spotlight for example) and type the following commands:

Code:

cd "/Users/<your Mac OS user>/Documents/Steam Content/<your Steam user>/portal/"
ln -s "../../sourcemods/portal prelude" portalprelude

This will tell Portal that new content is available next to him but not how to use it, this is the next step.

When this is done, restart Steam and Portal: Prelude should appear in you games list. Beware though, this shortcut won't work. Basically, as they dropped the support of third party mods, you'll have to tell Portal to use Portal: Prelude content instead of having another standalone game besides it. The way to do this is weird, but works.

Code:

1. Open up your Steam games library
2. Right click on "Portal" and click Properties
3. Open up the "Set Launch Options" dialog
4. Type this in the field: -game portalprelude -dev
5. Launch Portal and it should launch Portal: Prelude instead

So far it looks like this method works at a 100%, I didn't play the whole game though but we had everything working from cutscenes, voices, subtitles, gameplay, and such. If you want to play Portal again, simply remove the -game portalprelude -dev from the launch properties.

────────────────────
TECHNICAL BACKGROUND
────────────────────

Now on a more technical side, I'm totally unsure WHY the hell you have to launch the game in developer mode (-dev) for it to work, but we never managed to make it work without it. We are also quite sure there are probably ways to do this differently. We investigated a few things, like the open command of Mac OS combined with the command line options of Steam. Basically, we tried this:

Code:

open -a steam -applaunch 400 --args -game portalprelude -dev

It works perfectly, but only when Steam isn't already launched. Mac OS seem to catch the call and prevent it when Steam is already running. We don't know how we could bypass this. We also elaborated on the Steam Browser Protocol to make it launch Portal with Portal: Prelude content like this:

Code:

open steam://run/400 -game portalprelude -dev

But so far, the Steam Browser Protocol doesn't seem to be able to deal with parameters, so we gave up.

If you are knowledgeable enough, maybe you'll find a more elegant solution to this problem. We hate the current solution because it forces you to switch between Portal and Portal: Prelude and you can't have both working at the same time. If you do find a more elegant solution, please post it here.

#2 22-05-2010 11:47:01

Mikeh12

Re: How to make Portal: Prelude run on Mac OS

Thanks for the walkthrough, I am following it now. Just one thing, if the default un-archiver doesn't work, you can use Stuffit Expander instead of the command line.

Will report back anything else I find.

Last edited by Mikeh12 (22-05-2010 12:00:03)

#3 22-05-2010 13:13:19

boudhevil

@Mikeh12

Yep Stuffit will probably work, the default un-archiver might work too.
When we tried it, it complained about permissions, which doesn't makes sense.
I'm pretty sure that the unzip command is available on all macs out of the box. (I might have installed it with macports, but I dont think so), and you'll have to launch a terminal anyway smile

BTW Terminal.app is here: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Last edited by boudhevil (22-05-2010 15:14:48)

#4 23-05-2010 15:49:37

PeterG

Thanks for this great tutorial, everything seems to be working fine until I load up the game;
While loading the welcome screen the game crashes giving me "A source engine game is required to run mods" Engine error.

#5 23-05-2010 17:15:48

NykO18
Administrator
Website

PeterG wrote:

While loading the welcome screen the game crashes giving me "A source engine game is required to run mods" Engine error.

Maybe you'll find more informations here:
http://www.portalprelude.com/forum/view … p?pid=4830

#6 23-05-2010 18:41:53

PeterG

Thanks for the quick reply!
though the topic did not help me much, I've got it working now!

After backing up my /Users/<user name>/Documents/Steam Content/<steam user name>/portal  folder, I placed all prelude files in the original portal map while overwriting everything.

#7 24-05-2010 00:52:00

NykO18
Administrator
Website

PeterG wrote:

After backing up my /Users/<user name>/Documents/Steam Content/<steam user name>/portal  folder, I placed all prelude files in the original portal map while overwriting everything.

Sounds a bit hardcore, but yeah, it should work.
You may have problems when Valve updates Portal though.

#8 24-05-2010 01:30:03

Chevron42

How exactly did you replace all the files? Did you have to sort anything or did you just replace all the contents of the "portal" folder with those of "portal prelude"? I had the same problem, with the game requiring a Source game engine.

#9 24-05-2010 23:35:51

strtplyr

post video. PLZ!!!!!!!! I have NO experience in these matters. finding that folder is causing me to tear my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#10 25-05-2010 03:31:47

PeterG

I'll try to be as clear as possible for this one.
first head over to your /Users/<osxusername>/Documents/Steam Content/<steamusername>/portal folder

You'll see a couple of files and folders here named "bin", "hl2" "hl2_osx" "hl2.sh" "platform" "portal"
and, if you followed the regular tutorial a alias to the portal prelude folder, simply named "portalprelude"

Though not needed, i highly recommend backing up the "portal" folder. by doing so, you can keep playing the original portal by naming the one you want to play "portal".
(to back up, select the "portal" map and press command+D to make a duplicate) You may rename the newly made duplicate to whatever you like, something like "portal_BACKUP")

to install prelude the "hardcore" big_smile way;
Inside the unzipped Portal Prelude folder downloaded from this site you can find about 1.5 gigs of data, named "cfg" "maps" "materials" etc.
Select all content in this folder, both maps and files.

drag or copy all the content to the "portal" folder, overwriting everything.
note that the destination you should copy these files to is:
/Users/<osxusername>/Documents/Steam Content/<steamusername>/portal/portal  <-- (NOTE THE SUBFOLDER!)
to clarify further, you are overwriting the original game files -- from the folder you just made a backup of.

when starting from steam, don't forget to remove the launch options, should you have done so following the original tutorial.

Thats it.
in the ~/portal/ folder  you should now have a "Portal" folder (which is infact the source material for the portal prelude mod, and a "portal_BACKUP" folder (that are the original game files)
To play the original portal again simply name the "portal" folder something else (like "portal_PRELUDE") and rename
"portal_BACKUP" to "portal"

Last edited by PeterG (25-05-2010 03:34:07)

#11 30-05-2010 23:03:09

strtplyr

got it WORKING!!!! anyone say "STUPIDEST GAME EVER?" i waited this long for THIS piece of crap? all it is is the original portal with no GLaDOS voice and the doors dont open!

wait...what the hell? i checked a vid and PP is different! when i start it it has a different title screen, and the level screenshots are different but the levels are the same and GLaDOS doesnt say anything and the doors do not open. what THE!?!?!

EDIT: GOT IT!!!!!!!!! MAN THAT IS HAARD!

Last edited by strtplyr (01-06-2010 03:50:03)

#12 02-06-2010 02:32:25

dskmac11

Every time i do this walkthought and click portal the portal prelude screen comes up but then it says something like A source engine game is required to run mods I know its because i have the free version but has anyone found away around buying the real version.

#13 02-06-2010 23:45:24

thinkdunson

mine isn't working either, but it doesn't say anything about a source engine; it acts like it started the application fine, but then i get the unexpected quit dialog: "hl2_osx quit unexpectedly."

#14 03-06-2010 13:45:52

dskmac11

I GOT MINE TO WORK ON A MAC WITH THE FREE VERSION!!!!!!!

#15 03-06-2010 20:57:36

elliotharmon

Hi all,

I just copied over all the files into their corresponding subfolders, and the game plays no problem (free Portal Mac version from Steam).

Here's my question: I'd thought that this worked like Portal Flash Version pack, where you open the new maps in "bonus levels," but you still have the original game too. Apparently I was mistaken about that. Is there any way to get back to the original portal, aside from a complete reinstall?

Thanks,
Elliot

#16 11-06-2010 19:31:30

strtplyr

ok guys, its easy

1st: download portal prelude
then go to /users/<macosxusername>/steam content/<steam username>/portal/
copy this file by clicking on it and holiding cmd+D
open up the one called PORTAL, not portal copy.
highlight all the content in the portal prelude zip you downloaded. you should already have the portal folder open, and you should see another folder called portal in there. drag the highlighted stuff into THAT portal folder (/user/<macosxusername>/steam content/<steamusername>/portal/portal/)

when you start portal it should start portal prelude.THIS IS FOR ELLIOT: if you want to go back to playing portal, just change the name of the portal file to portal prelude and change portal copy to portal and BING! you should have it: if you DIDNT make a copy of the portal folder, sorry but you gotta re-dowload it

ps: do NOT think you are going to beat GLaDOS this time. near IMPOSSIBLE!

Last edited by strtplyr (11-06-2010 19:35:10)

#17 13-06-2010 01:59:38

ntforte

Help!

Ok so I tried to install Portal: Prelude, and it worked! I went through all the command lines and everything, and got everything where it's supposed to be. Ok, so now I'm on the last step. I open up properties, put in the code, and then launch PORTAL. It opens in the dock, but then freezes with the little colored ball. So I force quit the app. I try to get back to PORTAL the original by just deleting the launch options code, but the game still freezes in launch. So I went into sourcemods, and just deleted the portal prelude folder. I restarted steam, and still , nothing. So I couldn't play portal prelude, and now I can't even play portal. Anyway I can get Portal Prelude back and running up again, or a way I can get back to just Portal?
Thanks-
n

P.S. This particular copy of Portal was obtained in the "Get Portal for Free!" deal run by Valve about 2 weeks ago.

#18 13-06-2010 02:18:07

ntforte

Never mind, I got it. Just restarted the computer. Are there any other steps I should perform to completely remove prelude from my machine? I've seen the mod before, looks cool, but I think I'll just stick to the original.

Last edited by ntforte (13-06-2010 02:19:10)

#19 16-06-2010 13:15:50

Marv93

i can't open portal prelude - always get the message "Can't find background image materials/console/startup_loading.vtf" ... any ideas?

#20 16-06-2010 19:32:22

SHaDOS

/me also gets error: http://grab.by/4YjK

#21 29-06-2010 18:27:43

strtplyr

i thinks u didn't copy something out of the folder cause i think its saying it cant find the background for the main menu, meaning u didnt copy it over. not sure tho

#22 06-07-2010 00:54:48

rushman2112

PLEASE SOMEONE ON THE PORTAL: PRELUDE TEAM, TELL US HOW TO FIX THE STARTUP_LOADING ERROR!! (on Mac)

#23 06-07-2010 01:20:43

NykO18
Administrator
Website

rushman2112 wrote:

PLEASE SOMEONE ON THE PORTAL: PRELUDE TEAM, TELL US HOW TO FIX THE STARTUP_LOADING ERROR!! (on Mac)

I THINK YOU REALLY NEED TO LOOK AT THE FRONT PAGE OF THE WEBSITE:
http://portalprelude.com

#24 19-07-2010 21:40:34

Daedelus

First of all...

Folder location has changed!

I've tried using cd /Users/<myusername>/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/<mysteamname>/portal

Followed by ln -s "../../sourcemods/portal prelude" portalprelude
Obviously I've tried to update it to the new location, is there some aspect of my poor (nonexistent) understanding of how terminal and/or this fix works that is preventing me from making this work? Is my guess on where the new folder is simply wrong? If this is horribly wrong and will cause something to explode, how do I undo any damage I may have caused?

Last edited by Daedelus (19-07-2010 21:51:50)

#25 19-08-2010 23:35:58

darkid

Confirming the above post, the location is now:

/Users/username/Library/"Application Support"/Steam/SteamApps/steamusername/sourcemods

Note that the symbolic linking is working, and that upon (re)starting steam, it will have added a new game to the list, "Portal: Prelude".

However, this fails to boot, as do any of the tricks. The "Portal: Prelude" game is the equivalent of modifying the "Portal" game. Note that the Set Launch Options is now stuck inside the Properties->General area.

Symbolic linking does appear to work, though.

Attemted to run "Portal: Prelude" with the -dev line, failed. Noting that the "round-about" terminal booting method fails in 10.6. Thus, considering working on changing that.

Anyways... dinner calls.

Board footer