Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 03-11-2008 01:53:30

gt24

Game crash in Testing Complete (after chamber 19)

Ok, in the Tunnels to Glados (so, right when you are told that you need to use surface tunnels to reach Glados), I did the following.

I entered the door that was opened for me, opened the door at the end of the hall.  I gone through, turned to face the open door, and hit e to close the door.  Once the door was closed, I entered the door that was in front of me (so, in other words, the door that was blocked when that other door was open).  I entered this next room and tried to look down at the hatch sealed with a lock...

and the game crashed.

I'll try exploring in the other direction...  This is after I installed the 1.0 to 1.1 upgrade patch by the way.

** Update **

I learned that you are supposed to go through that door being that it is the only path.  After trying to enter that room multiple times, I finally had the game not crash...  I don't quite understand what is wrong but at least I can go onwards now.

Last edited by gt24 (03-11-2008 01:56:26)

#2 03-11-2008 13:39:08

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: Game crash in Testing Complete (after chamber 19)

You're not the first to face this problem.
It happened to a few people with version 1.0.0 too, but I don't understand how it can happen.
I'll take a look again.

#3 03-11-2008 13:58:33

Halfgild Wynac

Oh, if you can do something with the save that has this problem, then I can send it to you. Also, I noticed that while this error might not appear at the first time, strangely it may still occur upon loading the save before this place. However, if you reload the level once again (starting at the "entrance to the portal gun-free zone"), it seems to disappear - that's how I dealt with this problem. I suppose, it is easy for me to reproduce this error on my computer. Can't say it is a rare bug.
Of course, sending savegames makes sense only in the case there's some logging available to see what happens wrong.

#4 03-11-2008 14:01:49

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Yeah, I'd like you to send me a save that crashes.
I'm not sure it will crash for me too, but at least I'd like to try.

#5 06-11-2008 04:22:36

ActionAlligator

Hello, not sure if this will help, but I have the EXACT same problem as this user. I kept crashing, and was forced to restart my computer over and over. So, to combat this, I loaded my saved game again, but this time I enabled windowed mode so I could just exit it after it crashed. Oddly, I don't know if it's coincidence or not, it gave me an error message this time, instead of just freezing; "The instruction at "0x113c13f2" referenced memory at "0x1ea10074". The memory could not be "read"." Like I said, I don't know if this will help, or if it's random or something, but it wasn't giving me this message before in fullscreen. Hope you fix this bug soon, because I'm REALLY enjoying the mod and looking forward to the end, but it keeps crashing at this point ='(

#6 06-11-2008 11:17:11

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Yes, I'm experiencing it with Halfgild Wynac's savegame.
Don't know what's specific on this save, because it doesn't crash if I reload a fresh map.
And I don't know what's causing it either. But I'm searching.

#7 06-11-2008 12:24:35

sg3s
Website

NykO18 wrote:

Yes, I'm experiencing it with Halfgild Wynac's savegame.
Don't know what's specific on this save, because it doesn't crash if I reload a fresh map.
And I don't know what's causing it either. But I'm searching.

Possibly it doesn't load an object/script, something that is saved in the savegame I'd guess... try to compare those resources to the ones from a fresh map.

#8 20-11-2008 23:51:21

GeneralFluffy

Hey, im having the exact same error, and i dont have a way to go back to before i gave the portal gun back. I can go back to chamber 18 + 19, but i dont want to do those two chambers AGAIN. So if someone has a save they can send me or something, that would be great.

#9 21-11-2008 15:24:36

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Enable the developer console and type one of these commands:
* sv_unlockedchapters 8 (unlock all chapters)
* map level_08 (go directly to the last level)

#10 21-11-2008 15:59:01

GeneralFluffy

Ok, cool, Thanks.

#11 09-12-2008 06:53:53

Spengo

I too am having this issue. Crash happens immediately after entering the vertical shaft after the first hallway after meeting the scientist that tells you the alternate route you must take to view glados. It does not restart my computer, only crashes to desktop. Using Vista ### x64. Here is a link to my save folder.
http://rapidshare.com/files/171658028/SAVE.zip.html

Also, something I noticed in the alert when the game is started... I think you meant "technique," not "technic" smile

Last edited by Spengo (09-12-2008 06:54:02)

#12 10-12-2008 05:43:24

portalgrinder

Same thing is happening to me.
Sometimes it starts to get glitchy as soon as i meet the black guy who is waiting outside of GlaDOS room.
All kinds of triangular shapes of different colors appears everywhere...
I tried to reload many previous save files up to chamber 19 and it still crash.
One time i made it to the GlaDOS activation room, and as i looked down at the guys standing in front of her (just before they get killed),
one of them started to glitch again. It was one guy in particular having weird colored triangles coming out of him.  The game finally crashed during the fight while i was hiding in the small cabin. Music kept going but the screen was frozen. I had to restart my computer

Also that black guy i previously mentionned does a weird thing. After he unlocks the door to GlaDOS, he goes back to sit on his chair, but he actually sits behind it with his legs halfway through the chair.  That was kind of funny.

I finished the first version of your mod quite a few times and i can honestly say that it was the best out there. I REALLY enjoyed it even though i lost quite a few hairs thinking my way through it hehe. Sad thing is i havent been able to finish it since i downloaded the patch.
I hope you find the time and patience to fix this awfull bug.

#13 11-12-2008 04:19:34

portalgrinder

I tried again today and i've been able to finish it without having those horrible glitchs.
From chamber 00 to the ending, i only encounters a few lags here and there. 
Let's just say that I'm really happy smile

#14 11-12-2008 19:57:20

NykO18
Administrator
Website

That's exactly why these bugs are almost impossible to solve for content modders (people like us who don't touch the source code).
Sometimes it happens, sometimes not...

#15 16-12-2008 08:31:12

Spengo

The first time I did the last level, I went to the observation room where you see the dead bloodies and portal gun in a test chamber BEFORE going to the party, and then later I restarted the final level and went to the party first. When I went to the observation room first it crashed, and when I went to the party first it did not. Don't know if this helps any.

#16 31-12-2008 23:25:28

Jasper Kazai

Spengo wrote:

The first time I did the last level, I went to the observation room where you see the dead bloodies and portal gun in a test chamber BEFORE going to the party, and then later I restarted the final level and went to the party first. When I went to the observation room first it crashed, and when I went to the party first it did not. Don't know if this helps any.

I did the exact same as you; I saw the cutscene in the observation room before the party. My game then crashed at the same area. I read your post and tried going to the party first, and it worked. So the method you used is the solution. Just go to the party before doing anything else.

As to fixing the game for future release, I supposed you could lock the observation room door until after the player goes to the party.

Last edited by Jasper Kazai (31-12-2008 23:34:08)

#17 01-01-2009 02:09:35

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Jasper Kazai wrote:

As to fixing the game for future release, I supposed you could lock the observation room door until after the player goes to the party.

Yep, that's a good idea.

#18 03-01-2009 13:34:54

SteelWing

I'm having the same problem I went to the party first then noticed the observation room and had no problems but when I go to the tunnels it always crashes no matter how many times I try it just keeps crashing. Here is a rar archive that contains my save folder, a self made dump of the console literally steps before crashing and a screenshot of the error. I noticed that it always hits a hard 1 to 2 second lag just as I reach the small branch off where the NPC is that leads me to the tunnels. Great job on the game though. Loved it. Hope this bug gets fixed soon so I can actually beat it for the first time XD

Rar Archive: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1md7in

Last edited by SteelWing (03-01-2009 13:37:54)

#19 04-01-2009 01:07:03

NykO18
Administrator
Website

It didn't crashed using the last version of the level (on which I made some changes).
I'll consider it fixed.

#20 05-01-2009 18:21:39

SteelWing

NykO18 wrote:

It didn't crashed using the last version of the level (on which I made some changes).
I'll consider it fixed.

So the fix will come out in the next patch release then? I'm still crashing here....

#21 05-01-2009 18:52:21

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Yes.

#22 11-01-2009 05:07:06

AmbientDarkness

This happened to me as well; after getting frustrated after 4-6 crashes, I started a new file on chapter 8 (Testing Complete), and everything worked fine. There was sound when I entered the room, perhaps it was a damaged sound file...

Board footer