Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 10-10-2008 11:26:18

ZaphodB42

Law of Momentum Conservation

Now I may be wrong, but in Portal GLaDOS tells you about the Law of Momentum Conservation in portals, meaning that the speed you go in one portal is equal to the speed you exit from the other portal.  This means (I'm assuming) that when you go in one portal you come out the same through the other ("Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out").  In Prelude if you create 2 portals you begin to slow down as you go repeatedly through 2 portals.  Was this adjusted for this game?  Or is it a bug that you slow down?  Because in Portal I've created 2 portals and jumped in one to emerge from the other going back and forth without moving, and my height stays the same.  In Prelude if I do this my height of jump slowly diminishes.

#2 10-10-2008 11:49:44

Physica

Re: Law of Momentum Conservation

It's the same in the first Portal aswell so it's nog a bug or anything.

#3 10-10-2008 11:54:16

Alphasoldier

It's really simple actually, there is gravity that pulls you down, but there's also the resistance of the air, even if you would from miles high, into the one portal and out of the other, you would slowly lose height.
Air resistance. You're not in outer space you know.

#4 10-10-2008 21:15:54

Mattias

In Portal GLaDOS doesn't explain momentum fully because the game isn't meant to be a physics lesson.

To help you with your query: momentum is the product of an objects mass and velocity (If you have more mass or if you are moving faster then you have a higher momentum, therefore it is harder to stop you.) and the law of conservation of momentum states that "In a closed system, momentum is conserved unless the system is acted on by an external force." So, because the test chamber isn't a vacuum, the air is resisting your movement and creating an external force. Which causes you to lose speed gradually because your mass can't change.

Basically it is as AlphaSolider said: Speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. Unless something is trying to stop it.

Last edited by Mattias (10-10-2008 21:19:03)

#5 11-10-2008 23:16:52

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Exactly Mattias ans Alphasolider (and Physica).

Board footer