Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 15-01-2009 11:39:50

morg*

A few little things

First Id like to say that I had alot of fun playing this game. It blows my mind when I look back and see that its a mod!!. If this had been released as an official Portal game I would have been more than happy to pay for it. You did a great job on this.

So I thort Id try and help out and Iv made a list of a few little things I noticed while playing through the first and second time. Its not much but here we go...

* In test chamber 3 the NPC in the observation room next to the exit claps his hands when you make it across and gose to sit down on a chair. He sits too far back and ends up sitting in mid air with his head resting on the back of the chair.

* In chamber 6 you must escape a lowering ceiling and then return to place a cube on a button to exit the room. However if you dont return a second time with the cube you get trapped in the room with no in game options to proceed.

* the turrets subtitles dont always match what they are saying.

* In chambers 17,18 and maybe others its possible to open portals under the stands for the small buttons.

* In chamber 18 I can use the companion cube to open the door to the orb catchers room by pushing it against the door.

* Some lip movments are missing from the guy in the party hat.

* Sometimes In the final battle GLaDOS wont drop the morality module between attacks. It looks like it gets stuck in the wall untill the next attack is over.

Thats all Iv seen so far. Its really not much but I thort Id let you know. I have thort of a few suggestions Id like to show you.

All the way through the game I enjoyed listening to Mike, Erik and Peter talking to me and too each other. They are great characters and are quite funny at times. But some times its hard to hear what they are saying so I think it maybe a good idea to start the game with subtitles on as I found it alot more enjoyable like that. Also it can be easy to miss them in the menu. I didnt find them till my second time through.

Quite often you will hear Mike, Erik or Peter telling you off for destroying equipment e.g cubes, floors, entier rooms. But you never hear them say anything about the cameras you destroy. I thort its a good idea to have one of them ask you at the beginning to try to not destroy them.

Use the high rez door skin (If your not already)

Use the blue jump suit skin. I think it suits the mod better and sets your character Abby apart from Chell in Portal.

Hope Iv been helpfull. If I find anything else Il post It here.

Last edited by morg* (16-01-2009 00:10:04)

Portal Cake                /_____@/~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~                           |   __
.___   _                     /______ /   ~                    ~            _ _       |  (0 )
(__/=/_\<` ~ ~ ~ ~ ~/@____ /____~__              __~______(_|_)____|    []
___________________/          /       @   \--------/                            \

#2 19-01-2009 14:51:50

morg*

Re: A few little things

another suggestion for the next patch.

the guy at the end with the bandana/skarf over his mouth was a good idea but it looked more like it was painted on his face rather than covering it. my suggestion is to make it 3d insted of it being skinned onto the models face, or to replace it with some sort of dust/gas mask.

e.g.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/3e1e110d1a.jpg

what do you think of my suggestions??

has anyone got anymore suggestions? Id like the hear them.

Portal Cake                /_____@/~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~                           |   __
.___   _                     /______ /   ~                    ~            _ _       |  (0 )
___________________/          /       @   \--------/                            \

#3 20-01-2009 18:54:20

NykO18
Administrator
Website

morg* wrote:

* In test chamber 3 the NPC in the observation room next to the exit claps his hands when you make it across and gose to sit down on a chair. He sits too far back and ends up sitting in mid air with his head resting on the back of the chair.

Fixed.

morg* wrote:

* In chamber 6 you must escape a lowering ceiling and then return to place a cube on a button to exit the room. However if you dont return a second time with the cube you get trapped in the room with no in game options to proceed.

Fixed.

morg* wrote:

* the turrets subtitles dont always match what they are saying.

This is a rather complex problem with Portal and the problem is indeed located in Portal itself, not the mod.

morg* wrote:

* In chambers 17,18 and maybe others its possible to open portals under the stands for the small buttons.

Yes we know that, but that's not a terrible problem until it affects the gameplay mechanics and the progress.
Which is not the case here.

morg* wrote:

* In chamber 18 I can use the companion cube to open the door to the orb catchers room by pushing it against the door.

morg* wrote:

* Some lip movments are missing from the guy in the party hat.

Indeed, the SDK tool dedicated to this task don't allow me to lipsync these only two or three sentences in the whole game.
It keeps crashing.

morg* wrote:

* Sometimes In the final battle GLaDOS wont drop the morality module between attacks. It looks like it gets stuck in the wall untill the next attack is over.

I'll take a look into this.

And for the camera thing, it's a bit of a problem because when you destroy a camera, a random line is played and we don't know who is present in the observations room at this moment. Thus, can't make a random line to play because Mike could be picked up even if he's not currently present.

#4 20-01-2009 19:38:13

morg*

Im glad to see you got everything smothed out. Im looking forward to the next patch.

Yes I see what you mean with the camera issue. Mike could say something at the very begining about it and only once like '' you see those cameras on the wall? dont break them!''.

Thanks for replying, and good luck on your future projects.

#5 20-01-2009 19:43:34

morg*

P.S I found the badgers room quite entertaining lol. XP

Board footer