Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 02-11-2008 06:30:50

diegodd

Crash after level 19, after (spoiler?) handing back portal gun.

Just after i hand back the portal gun after chamber 19, the game loads the next part, where a guy in a desk says: "Hello Abby. They're waiting for you, in the employee's lounge....", everything works fine till then, but as long as i advance approaching the desk, the game crashes.

Windows (vista) gives me something like this (it's in spanish):

Firma con problemas:
  Nombre del evento de problema:    APPCRASH
  Nombre de la aplicación:    hl2.exe
  Versión de la aplicación:    0.0.0.0
  Marca de tiempo de la aplicación:    470c11ae
  Nombre del módulo con errores:    vguimatsurface.dll
  Versión del módulo con errores:    0.0.0.0
  Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores:    47293220
  Código de excepción:    c0000005
  Desplazamiento de excepción:    00011611
  Versión del sistema operativo:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
  Id. de configuración regional:    2058
  Información adicional 1:    fd00
  Información adicional 2:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
  Información adicional 3:    fd00
  Información adicional 4:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

note that the problem has happened repeatedly, after restarting the game and reloading the save point before the speech and the crash, BUT it has given me several different MODULES with errors, including:

vguimatsurface.dll

tier0.dll

engine.dll

StackHash_fd00
StackHash_a2a5

(those last 2, appeared in the same crash, i mean, after closing the first windows vista "crash" dialog, appeared the second with the other "StackHash" thing

im using windows vista 32 bits.

i didn't have that problem with the regular portal game, or with any other prelude levels.

what can i do?
this first happened in version 1.0.0, so i thought the problem could be some of the bugs fixed in the update, so i installed 1.1.0, but the problem remains. note that i have tried loading and playing other levels in the update (and also did in the 1.0.0 version), and they work fine, so something in that level, just before part of the desk with the guy speaking may be the thing crashing the game.

would i need to reinstal Portal? or what do i have to do?

#2 02-11-2008 13:44:56

sg3s
Website

Re: Crash after level 19, after (spoiler?) handing back portal gun.

The last level is the heaviest in the game, you might want to take a look at the recommended computer specifications to see if yours is strong enough to run the level...

#3 03-11-2008 04:07:08

diegodd

i have checked, and my machine surpasses the minimum reqs for the game.

My specs are:

Core 2 Duo @ 2.00 Ghz
2 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8600 w/ 256 Mb of VRAM supporting DirectX 10.0
160 Gb hard disc
windows Vista home premium.

i can even run Crysis with middle, and some high settings, so i don't think that is the problem...

i also tried to pass the point of the crash turning HDR off, but still crashes.

what can i do?

#4 03-11-2008 14:00:09

NykO18
Administrator
Website

There's a few things you might want to try, but well... it's more like a way to find the bug than a way to play the level. There's a certain number of console commands that allow the game to display or not certain types of objects. All of these commands starts with "r_" or "mat_", here's a few of them:

# developer 0/1 : Toggle developer mode.
# sv_cheats 0/1 : Toggle cheat mode, may be useful to use some of the following commands.

# r_drawdecals 0/1 : Toggle decals.
# r_drawstaticprop 0/1 : Toggle static props (models).
# r_drawparticles 0/1 : Toggle particles.
# r_drawropes 0/1 : Toggle ropes and cables.
# r_ropetranslucent 0/1 : Toggle translucent objects.
# r_shadows 0/1 : Toggle shadows.
# r_drawentities 0/1 : Toggle every dynamic object.

# mat_drawwater 0/1 : Toggle water.
# mat_bumpmap 0/1 : Toggle bumpmapping.
# mat_specular 0/1 : Toggle specular (reflections).
# mat_dxlevel X : Change DirectX mode (values: 60, 70, 80, 81, 90).

#5 03-11-2008 23:58:32

diegodd

mmm, i'll try that today or tomorrow to see what happens. I'll also try to use 'noclip', and move outside the passageway where it crashes, and try to move to another part of the level and see what happens. Maybe when i trespass a certain point in the map, is when the game crashes.

Anyway, i think i will end reinstalling portal (not prelude) and make more tests. i hope that way everything gets fixed.

#6 04-11-2008 12:09:13

andre

I am also having a crash in the game in the level 19.

I must state that this kind of error never happened with the old build of the game and i completed the game in the old build.

Since i already played all the game, i unlocked all the chapthers and went directly to the final fight with Glados.
It runs smoothly all the time from the first Glados attack until i get to the room where it´s placed the morality modulle, then the game crashes. It happens allways in the same place and it never happened in the old version.

I run my computer with the windows XP and my specifications surpassess the minimum requirements.
I have an intel dual core 3.4 G.
2 Giga of RAM.
The Video is an NVidia Geforce 8800, 512 MB of memory.

Last edited by andre (04-11-2008 12:22:45)

#7 04-11-2008 18:33:24

diegodd

im still having problems, but i tried something:

first, i fixed the "portal" game installation (instead of uninstalling and reinstaling again), and then loaded the last level of prelude. I used the 'noclip' cheat, and moved outside the walls, to see if the rest of the level had loaded, and it did!, so the problem wasn't related with that. I continued "flying" trough the level, but the game freezed (NOT crashed, when crashing, the game closes, but when freezing, it just keeps the same image onscreen and doesn't respond until i kill the process). Ii assume it happened because i was flying like crazy and maybe the game couldn't handle it.

anyway, what i did next was to copy the file "vguimatsurface.dll" from another folder inside the orange box, specifucally from hl2 episode 2, and replaced the file in the portal 'bin' folder.

then i tried the level again. This time i had no problems in that part, the game didn't crashed, BUT i don't know if it was because what i did, was turning down (seeing the flor) as walking by the desk (where the guy says they're waiting for me..), to get to the left door. as i did that, the game worked ok, i could walk around elsewhere, before going to the (SPOILER:) cake room.

i wanted to see if going to the center desk would crash the game again, so i went there again. it seemed to work ok, but as i aproached enough to the desk, the game crashed again!! WTF!.

however, i i already passed that part, i proceded normaly, i went to the cake room, then proceeded through the doors etc, but the game still crashed in some parts.

the parts i remember are:

-entering a BTS hallway, in the part you go trough the door in the right, and as i looked down, where there is a trapdoor with a padlock, the gme crashed. i read others have the same problem in that specific part... though, it happened to me only once.
-in the room where they are having a meeting, with a proyection, where a guy tells you to get the f... out of there. it happened if i aproach the desk with the proyector. if i pass along, the game doesn't crash.

then the game continued fine, till the glados fight, but it freezed again (not crash).

i reloaded, and worked fine.

also, already in the battle, every time i died, the game started to load again (to my last savepoint), but it freezed again untill y restarted.
that dying bug kept going, every time i die, the game doesn't reload properly, it freezes, and then i have to kill the process.

however, i managed to fight glados, till they power it down, go to get the portal gun (freeze again, once), and then go to get the moral module.

i manage to get back to the glados room, with the module. but as soon as the game takes control of the camera (when entering the glados room with the module), it crashes in a point where the camera gets near the stairs that lead to glados (giving a hint to where do we need to put the module, i guess).

that is the last part i managed to get to. so as you see, the game keeps crashing/freezing randomly (apparently).

i guess i'm trying to get the video settings lowered, to see if the game doesn't crash in that point, and continue playing...

damn. and again, as same as andre before, my pc surpasses the minimum reqs, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

any other suggestions?

#8 12-11-2008 20:42:54

diegodd

mmm still no suggestions?

well, what i did this time, is to use the 1.0.0 version. it still freezes in the parts of the game i mentioned before, but if i turn somewhere else (the 'camera'), the glitch seems to be 'avoided' and i can go on playing.

this time i managed to get to the final fight, and bring back the "morality" module to where glados is. this time it doesn't freeze when the came takes control of the camera and flies around glados and hives the hint of where to put the module. (in the 1.1.0 version, i was never able to pass beyond that point) . i guess the only think i should do to finish the battle is to grab the module and plug it in, put in this part, the game keeps crashing like randomly, specially when there is a lot of action on-screen. i'll try to put down some settings and see if the game can handle it that way.

i think maybe there is a problem handling some kind of files, libraries, textures, or whatever the game needs, because, i have played more demanding games (like Crysis), and it never crashes. what happens 'only' is that i get a very low frame rate, but it never freezes or crashes.

#9 13-11-2008 22:45:53

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Yep, but we didn't make this engine.
We don't have any access to the source code and we don't have any way to track these bugs down.
That's why it's so hard to fix.

#10 19-11-2008 20:01:58

diegodd

hello, i just want to post an update to what i have done.

i already managed to finish the game, but with a little workaround. i got to the ending part of the game, where (SPOILER!!!): you fight glados, then go to get the morality module, and plug it in her. then, a cutscene happens, where she kills you, but the game crashed just after the counter in the screen got to 0:00:00. every time i reloaded the last part and finished the game, it crashed there. So i just decided trying to set all the setting to the lowest possible, even playing in a window with the lowest resolution (640*480). this time, the game didn't crashed!! YEAH! so i finally got to see the ending and could play EVERY level with commentaries ON.

this leads to think that the problem actually is because the engine can't handle some of the settings in high (even if my machine is supposed to handle them), so when everything was on the lowest, there was no problem.

oh, btw, i tried what you suggested, to turn off several settings via console commands, but i had no success, the game kept crashing, maybe i didn't find the correct thing to turn off. Anyway, it was easier to turn down the  Video settings within the game options, and it worked!! all the other console commands remained with the default values (as if i have never moved them).

maybe later, i could try to turn a few settings back to HIGH, several of them each time, to find exactly which one(s) making the game crash. Maybe hdrl, or antialiasing-filtering, etc, i don't know.

if i find anything, i'll post it.

see you.

#11 20-11-2008 02:07:28

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Damn, really strange.

Board footer