Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 16-10-2008 08:52:14

loony636

Chamber 3

There were two main issues that I had with Chamber 3 (and I apologise if they've been raised before):

Once you've got the second portal gun and reached the second top level (when the extra shelf pokes out - which is entirely useless, and a nice touch), getting to the top level to finish the test chamber seems very hit and miss. I did it 10 times and always missed the level, and then tried again and got it. I even went to the video walkthrough to make sure I was doing the right thing. Perhaps by slightly lowering the top level you could make it less random as to whether or not you make it over.

Secondly, when I made my successful jump, I managed to jump through the roof of the chamber. I didn't get stuck, I just went partly through the ceiling, which looked a bit awkward. Perhaps you could fix this by raising the ceiling?

Last edited by loony636 (16-10-2008 08:52:50)

#2 16-10-2008 12:42:17

DemonStrate

Re: Chamber 3

loony636 wrote:

There were two main issues that I had with Chamber 3 (and I apologise if they've been raised before):

Once you've got the second portal gun and reached the second top level (when the extra shelf pokes out - which is entirely useless, and a nice touch), getting to the top level to finish the test chamber seems very hit and miss. I did it 10 times and always missed the level, and then tried again and got it. I even went to the video walkthrough to make sure I was doing the right thing. Perhaps by slightly lowering the top level you could make it less random as to whether or not you make it over.

Secondly, when I made my successful jump, I managed to jump through the roof of the chamber. I didn't get stuck, I just went partly through the ceiling, which looked a bit awkward. Perhaps you could fix this by raising the ceiling?

The part about going through the ceiling is due to the engine, as this happens from time to time in Portal also. I have also gone through the ceiling when trying to make the jump up to the ledge in Chamber 19 of Portal Prelude. I never determined the exact cause of this, but I can speculate that your perspective and body get separated until you go back into a portal again, so that you can see outside the map, but your body isn't actually outside the map, similar to the save edge glitch, if you know what I'm talking about. If you don't then just ignore that last sentence.

#3 16-10-2008 13:27:26

sg3s
Website

DemonStrate wrote:

loony636 wrote:

The part about going through the ceiling is due to the engine, as this happens from time to time in Portal also. I have also gone through the ceiling when trying to make the jump up to the ledge in Chamber 19 of Portal Prelude. I never determined the exact cause of this, but I can speculate that your perspective and body get separated until you go back into a portal again, so that you can see outside the map, but your body isn't actually outside the map, similar to the save edge glitch, if you know what I'm talking about. If you don't then just ignore that last sentence.

Yeah it's an engine problem... unfortunatly you can also have this and not go trough the roof but instead you lose momentum... which is really shitty...

I'd like to know how to do the safebug btw, I haven't been able to find a good explenation for that.

#4 16-10-2008 13:55:40

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Definitely related to the engine itself.
Nothing we can do about it.
Sorry!

Board footer