Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 09-10-2008 20:50:23

DrJones

Installer skips all files.

Hello,

I downloaded the installer off fileplanet. I checked it and it is complete. It also passes its own CRC check.

When I start the installer and click next, it skips all files and does not give any errors, but nothing is extracted.

Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: Turns out the installer does not work if the user account in windows does not have admnistrator priveleges. It won't tell you that it needs these.

I do recommend using a different or a smarter installer. Why need admin priveleges to extract files? Just offer a self-extracting ZIP or RAR or 7ZIP file.

You can close this topic.

Last edited by DrJones (09-10-2008 21:07:16)

#2 10-10-2008 00:54:00

Nebol

Re: Installer skips all files.

Why close the topic? The issue needs to be addressed.

My account DOES have admin rights, but the files are skipped anyway.

Snooping around with Filemon revealed that the installer does not create the folders, it just tries to copy the files into the folders (that doesn't exist) and that's why the operation fails.

Two problems here:

1. The installer does not ask where to put the files, it just installs in the root of the current drive. That's really lousy.

2. The installer does not even try to create the folders that are needed. I don't think I'm the only one having this issue? Is ANYONE playing the game??

I did not have Steam installed during the installation, perhaps that's the reason why it fails? If it is, it's a really weird reason.

Best regards,
Nebol, http://www.nebol.se

#3 10-10-2008 01:01:29

Jazz Ad

Needing admin rights is normal since you're installing stuff into the Program Files directory.
Now if it still does it with admin account, something's wrong.
Since Prelude is a mod for Portal, it is obvious that Portal (and consequently, Steam) must be installed before the mod.

#4 10-10-2008 02:35:19

Chewy_Solo

i have the same problem. I looked at my C: drive which is not the drive for steam its my vista partition which is only 1.5GB left, and it maxes the drive compacity for C: and cancels install. Just let me install it on D:.... I looked on C: after it had an error and it showed that my C: drive had 4KB left. So its extracting the contents to C: drive which it shouldnt.

#5 10-10-2008 09:35:34

DrJones

@Jazz Ad
That may be if you have Steam in your Program Files folder, but even then it should not need it. All it does is extract files and Program Files should not be locked off against regular users unless you're running a really tight ship in terms of security and have modified permissions on the folder yourself.

@All

If the installer fails put it in your sourcemods folder (it should be there in the first place due to its lack of recognition where it is, as Nebol pointed out). Then the best thing to do is to install 7zip (free and safe) and then just right-click the installer of PP and tell 7zip to 'extract here'.

This will unpack the game where you want and it will skip trying to put the 1.75gb or so on your system drive first.

It will create two folders, I believe something like [$31] and [$32]. One contains the game, just move the game's folder where it belongs. The other just has the icon for the shortcut.

That's it really, the installer is just very poorly scripted, for the software itself is not too bad (It's Nullsoft's installer).

I hope this helps anyone who has installer issues and/or very little space on their system drive.

A few notes:

- 7zip is one of the few programs that can unpack the Nullsoft installer.

Last edited by DrJones (10-10-2008 09:39:07)

#6 11-10-2008 05:23:50

Chewy_Solo

I extracted it with Universal Extractor which worked without an issue, ill let you guys know if the fix worked, thanks tons big_smile

#7 11-10-2008 19:08:39

Rinzwind

Please don't provide a setup that doesn't use some common sense "setup" logic. Instead stick to an archive and manual extract. If you want a setup, make sure it behaves like a decent setup.

It doesn't work under Vista. Well, the MOD doesn't run either because I don't have Portal. Didn't stop me from trying wink
Setup says skipped: ... (helps the forum search)
If you want to install it manually
1) Get 7Zip if not present: http://www.7-zip.org/
2) Extract to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\
3) Correct the path:  C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\portal prelude

#8 11-10-2008 23:06:44

Capitaine Mousse
Administrator
Website

Vista: right clic on the installer, and clic Run as Administrator
XP: Run and cry

Else, use 7zip, right clic and Extract

#9 14-10-2008 00:04:06

NykO18
Administrator
Website

There is a ZIP version on the download page now.

Board footer