Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#51 02-02-2012 11:00:02

availn

Re: How to make Portal: Prelude run on Mac OS

I've found the easiest way to do it. The devs were on the right track with the "open" command, but they tried to append steam commands using --args. While this works if opening steam itself, steam has to be closed before it can be opened. Using --args with the steam protocol just doesn't work at all. Passing arguments to hl2_osx works, but with all of the safety nets needed, it is unnecessarily complicated. And when I add that app as a steam shortcut, I can't get it to work for some reason O_o

If you want to run Portal Prelude while steam is open through the terminal, here is the command:

Code:

open steam://run/400//-steam+-game+portalprelude

When appending steam commands like this, sub in + where you would have a space, and follow the commands with a double slash. You can also create a Portal desktop shortcut through steam, and edit the shell script so that you have an app that launches Portal Prelude. The shell script should look like this:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

I find it easier to just place the Portal Prelude folder in the portal folder rather than sourcemods, removing the need to create an alias, and then just creating a Portal Prelude app and adding it as a non-steam shortcut.

So, for an easy install of Portal Prelude, here are my steps.

1) Download the zip file and extract its contents
2) Place the "portal prelude" folder in your "#USER#/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/#STEAMUSERNAME#/portal" folder, and rename it to "portalprelude"
3) Create a desktop shortcut of Portal through steam
4) Right-click on the shortcut and click on "Show Package Contents"
5) Navigate through "Contents/MacOS/", and open run.sh
6) Replace its contents with the following:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

7) Rename the shortcut to "Portal Prelude", and add it as a non-steam shortcut.

For those wondering why this isn't common knowledge, it seems a steam dev added this on a whim: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s … ?t=1269214

I'll post a premade app later on, once I've figured out how to get the Portal Prelude icon on it -_-

#52 21-08-2012 16:20:18

afischer15

Re: How to make Portal: Prelude run on Mac OS

Aww, crap. I recently just upgraded to mountain lion, and now Prelude (and some ports of other games) aren't working so well. I used to use ThreePercentMilk's little startup program, but that stopped working (now it bounces in the dock and does nothing... It mocks me.

Next I tried reinstalling and using avalin's scripts - now hl2-osx opens, but stops responding right away. Help would be awesome big_smile.

Board footer