Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 13-05-2010 21:55:55

Will426

Says I need a source game even though I have one

So I got the free copy of Portal from Steam today.
I installed Portal: Prelude and it shows up in my games fine but when I try to load it,
it tells me that I need a Source engine game to run mods even though I have a
fully functioning official copy of Portal.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

#2 14-05-2010 05:01:29

marikvulpina

Re: Says I need a source game even though I have one

I'm having this same problem. I got the free version from the promo going on and beat the main game last night; then tried to install prelude today, exited steam, went back in, tried to play, and got an error telling me i needed a source game. =\

i wonder if the free version is somehow different from the "real" version and doesn't have certain necessary resources to count as a source base for mods?

#3 14-05-2010 10:19:47

NykO18
Administrator
Website

So far, it seems that Valve screwed up something with this free Portal version since it doesn't seem to be able to make mods work because it's not recognized as a Source game. This is very lame, but this is entirely Valve's fault.

#4 15-05-2010 01:47:46

dvc

Shit, that's the problem? I thought its because I didn't install it correctly, a friend told me to install sdkbase

#5 15-05-2010 15:23:27

NykO18
Administrator
Website

This is not very clear why it wouldn't work in the first place. Source SDK Base is not mandatory for most versions of Portal, but there is indeed some strange versions of the game out there on the market that do need Source SDK Base to make Portal: Prelude work. Now it appears a third version of the game just appeared and it isn't offered with the SDK Base, so I'm not sure what to do. You could still harass Valve asking them why they did this.

#6 15-05-2010 20:30:31

JuLy_Mustang

Sorry for my english (Im from Argentina) but
I have a temporal form to play portal prelude in the free version of portal,
First install Portal Prelude in "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal"
Second go to "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal" and rename the folder "portal prelude" to "portalprelude"
Third open Steam and go to "Add Game", "Add an non steam game", and look for the "hl2.exe" in "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal" and accept
Fourth go to the properties of your new game called "hl2" and in the box name put "Portal: Prelude" and in the target box put -game portalprelude
will be something like "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\july_mustang\portal\hl2.exe" -game portalprelude
close that window and play big_smile

I hope this be usefull

#7 15-05-2010 21:31:33

dvc

Thanks july, trying it right now

#8 15-05-2010 21:41:46

dvc

Failed to load launcher DDL

#9 15-05-2010 21:47:43

StEw_3596

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

First install Portal Prelude in "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal"
Second go to "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal" and rename the folder "portal prelude" to "portalprelude"
Third open Steam and go to "Add Game", "Add an non steam game", and look for the "hl2.exe" in "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\steamuser\portal" and accept
Fourth go to the properties of your new game called "hl2" and in the box name put "Portal: Prelude" and in the target box put -game portalprelude
will be something like "C:\Archivos de programa\Steam\steamapps\july_mustang\portal\hl2.exe" -game portalprelude

I hope this be usefull

It works! smile

thanks for that.

Edit: well I've made it to the main menu this time.
I haven't actually tested in-game.

Last edited by StEw_3596 (15-05-2010 21:48:21)

#10 15-05-2010 21:50:16

JuLy_Mustang

dvc wrote:

Failed to load launcher DDL

yes sometimes that happens, reinstall the portal prelude
and try again

#11 16-05-2010 12:46:29

Jackson_PP

StEw_3596 wrote:

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

I hope this be usefull

It works! smile

thanks for that.

Edit: well I've made it to the main menu this time.
I haven't actually tested in-game.

Thanks!  It works here (Germany) too :-)

#12 18-05-2010 16:07:57

kregiel

this instruction works ;] but when i try start a new game nothing happen sad

#13 18-05-2010 16:20:25

pu.arth

Thanks ! I'll try this week !

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

Sorry for my english (Im from Argentina)

Your english is perfect !!!

I'm from France smile

#14 19-05-2010 16:53:11

GUIGUI

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

I hope this be usefull

Thanks a lot. This should become sticky, as it solved the problem.

#15 22-05-2010 12:04:20

Mikeh12

It hasn't solved the problem for me, I'm on a Mac, so I am not sure how I get to the hl2_osx.app. Any help?

#16 22-05-2010 14:03:02

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Mikeh12 wrote:

It hasn't solved the problem for me, I'm on a Mac, so I am not sure how I get to the hl2_osx.app. Any help?

We are not talking about the Mac version here.
See http://portalprelude.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4818

#17 22-05-2010 16:36:19

baxter

Hi,
I did exactly as July said in order to play prelude with a free portal version but I keep having this Error message once I launch the game:

"Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'portalprelude'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting."

Does anyone know what this means? I don't get it cause I do have a gameinfo.txt file in the portalprelude directory...
Thanks for the help! I really look forward to play Prelude!!

-Baxter

#18 22-05-2010 23:27:10

burnsideking24

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

I hope this be usefull

it didnt work for me sad it still says a source engine is required to play mods

#19 23-05-2010 02:45:48

JuLy_Mustang

baxter wrote:

Hi,
I did exactly as July said in order to play prelude with a free portal version but I keep having this Error message once I launch the game:

"Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'portalprelude'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting."

Does anyone know what this means? I don't get it cause I do have a gameinfo.txt file in the portalprelude directory...
Thanks for the help! I really look forward to play Prelude!!

-Baxter

check the -game parameter maybe you put "-game portal prelude"

#20 23-05-2010 02:47:52

JuLy_Mustang

burnsideking24 wrote:

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

I hope this be usefull

but from were you are running portal prelude?
you got to add a non steam game and look for the hl2.exe

#21 23-05-2010 03:54:53

burnsideking24

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

burnsideking24 wrote:

JuLy_Mustang wrote:

I hope this be usefull

but from were you are running portal prelude?
you got to add a non steam game and look for the hl2.exe

i did. i did all the steps that july said but it keeps sayin a source engine is needed

Last edited by burnsideking24 (23-05-2010 04:39:08)

#22 23-05-2010 04:44:15

Mini-Me

I just wanted to pop into here to tell that Portal: Prelude works for me with the free Portal version I downloaded yesterday from steam.

After having finished Portal quite quickly, I remembered that I've read about a mod for the game in GameStar magazine (from Germany) so I googled for that and got here. When I then arrived at the front page and read that my version of the game is problematic for the mod I was a little sad, but though tried the idea suggested here. So I installed the mod next to the original game (in "C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\<steamuser>\portal") not renaming the folder and added this non-steam game to the list:

Code:

"C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\<steamuser>\portal\hl2.exe" -game "portal prelude"

I've then started the game and it worked fine for me and I played till I got stuck at test chamber seven smile (Well, I need some sleep now).

At that point I want to thank the authors of this mod for their great work: Thanks a lot! This mod looks really great and even professionally made. So far it is as much fun to play as the original game even though it is a lot trickier at some points wink.

#23 23-05-2010 14:24:07

baxter

July, my bad... I messed up during the install, I put prelude in "C:\Program files\Steam\steamapps\<steamuser>\" and not in the portal directory, hence my problem...
Now I was able to play the game smile
So thanks to both you and Minime, your help was greatly appreciated!

#24 23-05-2010 15:22:27

13thSlayer

Apparently, this solution is illegal. Btw it also works with non-steam/illegal copies of portal (confirmed by a pirate-friend), which most likely points to the fact I am right.

Steam Support wrote:

Hello Pavel, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. No Source mods are included with the free Promotional Offer registered to your Steam account. These mods are only included with Valve games purchased through Steam or from a retail store. You must purchase a Source game included in this list: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=16 Please let us know if you have any further questions, we will be happy to assist you.

Last edited by 13thSlayer (23-05-2010 15:26:58)

#25 23-05-2010 23:28:05

burnsideking24

i got it working nevermind! big_smile

Board footer