Portal: Prelude Forum

Everything that has an end, has a beginning...

You are not logged in.

#1 03-11-2009 07:42:10

ZG

Test Subject's relationship with Testers

Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before.  If that's the case, a link to the thread will suffice.  But if not...

After playing through Portal: Prelude I am confused about the motivations of the test subjects versus those administering the test, as in Prelude it is actual people and not an AI.

The test subjects are put in a life or death situation, often for what looks to be the pleasure of at least one of those watching, hoping for her to die, and yet when Abby reaches the end of test chamber 19, she just hands in her portal gun and walks around the facility with all the scientists like she's their friend?  This doesn't make sense to me.  If you put me in all that danger, testing me in situations that are practically meant to kill me, you'd better believe I'd have my hands around the neck of every scientist I saw who was behind it!  I would want to kill every single one of those aperture science technicians, because there's no way I would think anyone would knowingly volunteer for such a deadly testing procedure.  The only explanation I can come up with is that the test subjects were forced to participate, which makes sense if you follow the original Portal's story, as Chell is determined to escape the facility and not just turn in her gun and call it a day like Abby seems to do.  If Abby was forced to participate, why is she so friendly and obedient to her captors when they are standing right in front of her?

Please, someone, explain to me the relationship between the testers and the test subjects in the portal universe???

#2 03-11-2009 09:32:27

Ashnod

Re: Test Subject's relationship with Testers

As I understand the official explanation, the Lab Techs running the test are slightly crazy from being in lockdown for so long, and watching Test Subject after Test Subject fail the tests. It's not that they want the Test Subject to die, they've simply reached a point where they don't believe anyone is going to do it, and they've been overworked to the point where they don't really care, either.

That, of course, doesn't explain Abby's docile demeanor, but this is par for the course in the Half Life universe: Gordon Freeman remains stoic in the face of being asked to do ludicrous things. I remember distinctly in HL2 after getting to the roof of the City 17 City Hall, launching rockets at Striders that would not die no matter how many times you hit them, then getting to the ground and having someone say "Hey Freeman, go across the street and take out those Striders."

I was screaming something about "I had the high ground and a rocket cache not FOUR minutes ago. You think you could have asked me to do it then, you bastards???"

But Gordon just nodded and did it.

Anyhoo, I agree with you, the way it is portrayed is a bit unlikely were this real life. But it's a game. What can you do?

#3 03-11-2009 17:46:46

ZG

Well, I draw a difference there.  Freeman was helping the resistance because he was essentially on their side.  However ridiculous some of the orders were, to send him in alone, his motivation to do so is clear as he is helping his friends.  This portal situation is akin to finally reaching Dr. Breen in the Citadel and him saying "I know I've been trying to kill you all this time, but let me take that gravity gun from you and let's go do some research together..."  It still makes little sense.

#4 13-03-2010 00:09:29

misterpickles69

The only thing I can think of is that either one of two things:

1. The test subjects are either prisoners in some parallel-universe-tyrannical-society thing and getting through the test chambers is their ticket to freedom. The scientists don't want anyone to get hurt but since it is run with government money, the government is going to be able to tell them what to do. So instead of the gov't paying for a cell and food for the prisoner, they have them conduct tests for the portal experiments, not to mention they'll potentially have someone who can out-think life and death situations. Potential for some kind of special soldier, perhaps? HL2: EP3 tie in possibly? We know the GMan is involved so it may be his little scheme. I know this isn't an official Valve game but it could put ideas into their head. they've always been mod friendly.

2. The test subjects are employees/volunteers who are expecting a big pay day if they get through alive. They are never told before hand how dangerous it's going to be except at the beginning of each chamber where there's a hint of the danger posted on the wall before starting. I'd imagine there wouldn't be many volunteers if they knew what they were really in for.

/if I had to bet, I'd go for option 1

Last edited by misterpickles69 (13-03-2010 00:11:01)

#5 14-01-2011 03:23:34

Arriator

I think it's just the testers had no idea what they would do when they built the chambers. But I wonder: How did they survive building the chambers? I mean didn't the turrets shoot them a bit or where did the acid come from, or HOW ON THIS PLANET did they get the energy ball shooter thingys in there without being killed?

GLaDOS: The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.
*Companion Cube stabs Chell*
GLaDOS: WELL, I did NOT say it won't ever REALLY stab you, in fact, it is perfectly capable of doing so!

Board footer